octavious
octavious Dork
9/27/17 8:14 p.m.

1980 Suzuki GS1000 (not the one with the fairing) runs, rides, needs a little cleaning up and has a slight oil seepage.  Anything I need to know about these? 

I cantnlie, I do like the 4 exhaust pipes coming out the front. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/27/17 10:51 p.m.

I love 'em.  (I have a GS1000S, the blue and white one with the cafe' fairing.)  They're pretty indestructible, people still use them to this day for drag racing.  One potential failure point on GS Suzukis is the charging system, the stator can go bad, but other than that there's not much that goes wrong with them.  As with any old bike with carburetors you have to watch out for them gumming up from ethanol.  Oh, and if you decide to change from the stock exhaust and air intake system (i.e. a four into one header and individual K&N filters) you'll have to get into rejetting the carburetors and that is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down unless you know what you're doing - it's best to leave those parts stock for a reliable daily rider.  The go to source for information is http://www.thegsresources.com

octavious
octavious Dork
9/28/17 7:32 a.m.

Cool. And thanks for the link.  

This one looks all original, 4 into 2 pipes, and everything. 

We can get ethanol free gas here in TN, I use it in the 911, V-storm, and yard equipment. So that's good. 

Do you have to synch the carbs on these like on old Honda CBs?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/28/17 9:19 a.m.

You may, but in my experience they shouldn't need synchronization unless they've been messed with by a previous owner.  If it seems to start easily and has a smooth idle they're probably okay.  That makes me think of another thing, they do tend to have a pretty strong return spring on the throttle grip - you'll notice it when riding for a long time, your wrist will get tired.  One of those aftermarket clamp-on cruise control things is a useful accessory.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6R5apjqCSebtPTHX5tTurzeQaQayxJYm9y8qfziQHAiBiQbnhGHhb6CPeOusCb9