Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/8/14 3:29 p.m.

Some of you may remember the thread where I purchased my k1200s and rode it back to TN from Dallas:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/sprockets/k1200s-or-vfr-800/25400/page1/

Well after close to 4 years and 30k additional miles (50k total)my k1200s was starting to show its age, so it was ready for some repair and maintenance work. It needed various bearings, seals, minor cosmetics, etc, so I checked with the dealer on ordering up some parts, but while browsing their website noticed they had a brand new leftover 2012 k1300s.....hmmm I always wanted the k1300s, but was never willing to pony up the 17500 for the one with the premium package like I wanted....and this one was heavily discounted. Well my conversation with the parts guy transferred to the sales guy and I got a trade offer on my k1200s, minus the corbin seat, and it was very good....actually more than I paid for the bike in 2010 if you didn't count travel expenses. Anyway, one thing led to another and the next thing I know I'm leaving work early on a Friday to make the trek from Nashville to Chattanooga to pick up my new bike!

Initial impressions: The new bike feels lighter even though it isn't, shifts MUCH smoother (about time BMW), and I'm in love with the quick shifter, which is the main reason I wanted the premium package. It allows for full throttle no clutch upshifts and holy hell is it amazing...

Things I don't like: I can't stand the factory pipe, so it has to go. My 1200 had a Leo Vince and it was great, so a new pipe will be coming shortly along with low restriction air filters which my 1200 also had.

Also, the transition from no throttle to full throttle is entirely too long, so I ordered a different throttle cam from some company in Germany that speaks about as good English as I do German, regardless we got it done and it's on the way. I also had one of those on the 1200 and loved it.

Other than that there are some nannies that I need to disable...apparently BMW thinks all riders are Bob Costas so feels the need to limit throttle action in the first couple of gears etc, so that's got to go. I had to do the same on the 1200 so nothing new there either.

I kind of prefer the blue to the silver, but the silver is growing on me and blue hasn't been an option for years. All in all it's one hell of a bike.

Oh I forgot to mention. I got all the warranty they would sell me. 8 years, unlimited miles, and no deductible!!!

Pics of the bikes together right before I hit the road on the new one.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
5/9/14 5:05 a.m.

Nice looking! I'm actually leaving TN now, picked up an engine near Nashville, though the trip was mainly highway, I will be back. I found a dealer in Murfreesboro that has a beautiful leftover yellow Moto Guzzi V7 Special that makes me weak in the knees.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/10/14 5:09 p.m.

In reply to mistanfo:

Is it sloans that has the Guzzi? They usually have some cool bikes.

I'm getting a baseline dyno on mine next Friday. Then I'll add the pipe, tune, etc and see what gains I get.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
5/11/14 1:35 p.m.

Yes, Sloans. Nice dealership, sales personnel weren't pushy, they let me look around for some time. Nice selection of bikes there, essentially all brands other than BMW, HD and Ducati. Certainly the biggest dealership I've been in.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/16/14 2:04 p.m.

Just finished the baseline dyno with 1200 miles on the clock now. 146.19HP. Not bad...now time for a pipe and some other fun stuff.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/14/14 11:17 a.m.

The bike now has 7k miles, so I'm averaging 1k per month. Upgrades so far: Two new Pilot Road 4s, Remus carbon pipe, MRS tinted touring windscreen, throttle cable spacer for quicker opening throttle. I also plan to pick up a tune during Bren Tunings black Friday sale, add some low restriction filters. I still need to paint my Corbin smugglers trunk to match, I have the paint just need to get around to it. It will be nice to have the little bit of locking storage it provides, plus the corbin seat in place.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/14/14 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Very nice, I bet that Remus sounds pretty good.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/14/14 12:40 p.m.

ok.... now I need to come down to visit my old vette AND try your new bike... you keep this up and I'll just have to move in with you!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/14/14 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Lol the halo truck wouldn't make a bad little apartment!

In reply to yamaha:

I love the Remus....sounds great and spits a little fire when using the quickshifter at WOT.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Well, at least you know it has a good quickshifter on it.....the E36 M3ty ones are fuel cut quick shifters which cause lean conditions for those 50-60 milliseconds. What you're talking about is just a side effect of it cutting spark while you shift.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/14/14 2:04 p.m.

Fire? AWESOME!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/21/18 9:32 p.m.

Well,  four years after mentioning it,  I finally ordered the BrenTuning tune for the k1300s.  It should be here next week then I plan to hit the dyno.

The bike is still great,  but over the last several years my street riding has declined,  so the bike doesn’t see that many miles anymore.  I still love to ride,  but most of my miles came from a 72 mile round trip work commute,  riding year-round.  Well,  now I’m on conference calls most of the time during the commute,  which just doesn’t work with commuting on a bike.   

I’m also disappointed BMW killed the K/S line.  If they ever revive it I’ll be tempted to trade up.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/26/18 10:32 a.m.

No one ever knows I'm on the bike when I'm on a call, with my Sena.  It's crazy.  People have said it sounds better than my Jabra headset inside the office.  It is amazing.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/26/18 1:55 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

I have a Sena,  but have trouble hearing at interstate speeds.  I need better speakers or different placement or something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XRVQHXXkRiWxs2ZelIsLe9YrSfQOHlPDzjDiDBRyDHI3MvJhszo1hoU8kF60NmSk