SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/09 12:49 p.m.

Got an '85 VF500F today for $100; it's the victim of several PO repaints, all of which are terrible. Other than sandpaper and arm power, what's a good way to strip the paint without destroying the plastic?

Opus
Opus Dork
7/12/09 4:17 p.m.

Try a pressure washer, that plastic will not hold onto much, Could also try solvents (if you plan on repainting) or go on line to see if you can find cheap plastic.

With a quick look, that may not be possible. Looking at the picture, there is not much plastic to paint. Get a sander and make it smooth. If the paint comes of, then you are ok. The plastic is thick enough, you could use bondo with some success. Here is one pic of what it may have looked like

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/12/09 4:36 p.m.

I repainted a bike, hand sanding is about the only way to go safely. Prime really good and it should be ok. God I love those V4s!!!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/09 8:49 p.m.

You MAY be able to use Easy Off oven cleaner, but test a small discreet area first.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
7/12/09 10:08 p.m.
Opus wrote: Try a pressure washer, that plastic will not hold onto much, Could also try solvents (if you plan on repainting) or go on line to see if you can find cheap plastic. With a quick look, that may not be possible. Looking at the picture, there is not much plastic to paint. Get a sander and make it smooth. If the paint comes of, then you are ok. The plastic is thick enough, you could use bondo with some success. Here is one pic of what it may have looked like

That is gorgeous! I've hand-sanded things before. Get a couple different kinds of sand paper and one of those pads (can't remember what it's called) that helps bite down and scuff up the paint. You'll have it done in no time.

What about a DA sander?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
7/13/09 10:02 a.m.

I have painted dozens of motorcycles. Use a DA and hand sand. It isn't that hard, and your bike doesn't have that much area to sand. If the bad paint jobs are just poor quality but still sticking well, there is no need to remove all the paint. If they are not bonding to the bodywork or each other, then you will have to get it off. I had one bike that was painted with house paint!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cPhEDWnXSRBSxKN3pgpqMhNlHPspEDAWuHtTXdhxnTBIlCGyt1BaBywLe0B2QZQG