confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
7/12/09 8:35 p.m.

I think the buell needs a new front brake. When I get on the brakes, I get a huge amount of shaking and it comes from the front brake. The pads still have some meat on them so it must be the rotor. Could it have some hot spots on it? My brother took it to a track day before I bought it from him. Perhaps I need to rebed the brake?

How do I fix this on a motorcycle? I'm still learning my way around her and I don't want to hurt her or myself. Does it need a new rotor? How much do you think that'll cost?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
7/13/09 6:12 a.m.

Might not be the brakes. Check the tripple tree stem bearings and check the clamps the forks fit in too. Also inspect the fork tubes seals any leaks? Yes it could be the rotor is warped or imbeded in one section but check the other spots before spending $$.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
7/13/09 10:07 a.m.

Take a scotchbrite pad and some brake cleaner to the disk(s). Take the pads off and sand them with some 220 grit paper on a flat surface.

is this a buell with the single large disk or more standard brakes?

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/13/09 11:40 a.m.

its got the perimiter brakes

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/09 12:04 p.m.

The old Buell's used to warp rotors pretty good if you used them really, really hard. Like say...at a trackday. I'm not sure if the perimeter brakes are prone to the same type of failure.

I would be curious what the privateer Buell racers are using for brakes now. They used to attach two rotors to the tube frame Buells and setup a dual front disc. Overkill for 95% of street riders by necessary for track work.

Have you been here yet? This is the largest Buell forum I know of. I hate the bbs software they use tho.

Two threads about warped rotors on the XB series bikes:

Thread #1 - What causes the rotor to warp and how many people have had this problem?

Thread #2 - Track day went great... but...

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
7/13/09 1:18 p.m.

Thanks everybody!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/13/09 5:24 p.m.

LOL, sell the Harley and buy a real bike.

I like Buells.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/09 9:28 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: LOL, sell the Harley and buy a real bike. *I like Buells.*

Did he mention owning a Harley? I'm missing something here.

Toolpen
Toolpen New Reader
7/14/09 10:10 a.m.

It could be the brakes or a symptom highlighted when the front brake is used. While I am not familar with the Buell, I would do the following: 1. Support the bike with the front wheel off the ground. Have someome steady the bike and apply the front brake. With the brake locked, grab the front wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock postions and try to move twist the wheel from side to side. If there is any noticeable play, the front wheel bearings may be an issue. 2. Repeat Step 1 but instead of holding the wheel, hold the sliders and try to move them backward-and-forward. If any movement is felt, the steering bearings require service. 3. Put a dial indicator on the front disc and measure runout. I'm not sure what the maximum runout is, but you should be able to find it on a Buell web site. If possible, do this check with the front wheel mounted on some type of stand. Otherwise, turn the wheel to full lock and tie it in place with a tie-down to prevent any movement. You want the bike rock steady so the measurement is accurate. 4. Check axle, caliper and brake disc tightness. Good luck.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
7/14/09 4:14 p.m.

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZyTnyJSE3ykQ4ZGbJ1KBpecA3u3hDkSkJenKAidj7oN58TaQ4rhjWNWqjN19ro9