stroker
stroker New Reader
4/5/09 6:07 p.m.

Okay, so I've got my GSX-R frame and not one but two, count 'em, two GT750 engines. I'm sure one is junk as I just pulled it out of the Callaway County woods after a 10 year hibernation. The other may actually run. I've got some GS1000 forks and extra wheels so I can actually get a rolling chassis together. I'll find the fuel tank and seat later.

So I missed a set of expansion chambers on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for about $360. I'm a numbnut. I have two sets of stockers, both of which are rough, neither of which will fit the GSX-R frame. Doesn't matter as I won't be using them. I'd like to get some pipes and I'm willing to buy a used steel set and put up with the rust, but I'm thinking some stainless pipes would be really tts. I don't have the ability to weld stainless and I have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to weld thin gauge stainless (to say nothing of how expensive the sht is). I'm looking for guidance on this. The pipe templates for the TR750 are available online, so all I need is someone who can help cut, roll and weld the pipes or the ability to do it myself. I'm looking for guidance on this from anyone who's built expansion chambers in the past or anyone who's done relevant welding. Opinions?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/5/09 7:02 p.m.

Hydroform them?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/5/09 7:39 p.m.

You can weld stainless with a Mig loaded with plain-ol steel wire.

It won't be right but it will work. Your welds won't be stainless but your pipe will.

It's fine if you're just going for a "make it work until I can buy something that's not ghetto" repair.

Shawn

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
4/5/09 7:51 p.m.

Hit up the local tech school welding class? or, build your own out of steel and cover your shoddy work with header wrap tape.

alex
alex Reader
4/5/09 11:56 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Hit up the local tech school welding class? or, build your own out of steel and cover your shoddy work with header wrap tape.

Header wrap covers a multitude of sins.

Just sayin'.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
4/6/09 3:42 a.m.

I have nothing to offer except moral support; here's a video of someone from another forum putting an rd350 motor in a Ninja 250 frame.

He probably didn't gain much in power, but it's a pretty cool conversion nonetheless. From what I understand he had lots of RD spares and found a wrecked Ninja so it kind of just came together like your project.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/6/09 5:36 a.m.

More info on Hydroforming:

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/09 8:21 p.m.

KICKASS!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4fmtu0gtgnLgBmBNyLNaFPovz3r8d0bfOrQINcMC00akMrE7TjJaYZqhYm1EDjjF