Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/17/17 8:19 a.m.

The three wires coming out of the stator got pinched when I reinstalled the sprocket cover. There was bare wire showing on all three wires and touching the case.

I wrapped with electrical tape to test, but I need to figure a permanent fix.

What is the best fix? I sprayed with parts cleaner and I think that may have caused the wiring insulation to soften, as I was able to peel off 3/4" of insulation that had the texture of rubber. The metal wire looks to be in perfect shape, I would prefer to just somehow recover the wiring than replace, or cut and splice. My soldering skills are nonexistent.

I tried to slit some shrink wrap lengthwise, but it potato chips when hit with heat.

Any other ideas??

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/17/17 8:43 a.m.

Remove the wires from the plug, then individually heat shrink them? If you can't get them out of the plug, maybe cut, slide heat shrink over, then crimp connect and heat shrink over that.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/17/17 9:33 a.m.

Thanks, I seriously didn't think about taking them out of the plug, even thought I bought a tool at Radio Shack to remove wires from plugs last year when I made a wiring harness from scratch for my other bike.

I think that I have spent too much time looking at wires over the last week...

this is what I have

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/17 10:54 a.m.

Split heatshrink lengthwise. Wrap it over the wire. Overlap the slits. Use superglue to join the cut back together. Heat the wrap normally. It won't be flexible, but it will hold. If you must bend it, re-apply the superglue after you position it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/17/17 8:44 p.m.

I think I would try some liquid plastic on it and wrap with some type of string. I know someone that has wrapped things like this with dental floss. Wide for coverage and waxed help seal. Haven't tried that myself but thinking about it, it might work. That way you won't have to cut/splice wire.
Now chose between plain white or the minty green for freshness type.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/17/17 8:49 p.m.

THIS was holding the US Merchant Marine fleet together. Wrap that on your wires, then some high quality black tape over that.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
8/18/17 8:07 p.m.

Go to McMaster Carr get "high ratio moisture seal" heat shrink. Make sure the ended wall thickness will still let you get the cover on!! The moisture seal type has hot melt glue inside. If your terminals are small enough you might not need the high ratio type but measure and see.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nF9L36TGPckz0fvgQ63UliyGikNXDmoXueQ4uKbIP3vK9rrZvYhcFWNuT9XZiwGc