PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/7/09 8:27 a.m.

1991 street model, recently rebuild, bored 40 over, new DOT knobbies, needs a few odds and ends for inspection, has title, hard to start sometimes and runs a little rough off idle, but tons of power at the top end.

I'm a broke college student....is this an unwise purchase?

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
3/7/09 4:23 p.m.

I think thats a $500 bike unless its minty.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/7/09 4:33 p.m.

Those are tough bikes, air cooled and simple. But hard to start and hinky idle after a rebuild make me nervous, especially for a broke college student (BTDT).

Even in the street model, your top speed is about 55. Which is fine to get you to the trails and buzzing around town, but if you have any higher speed stretches you plan on riding on, not for you.

I am in agreement with MOFW. If you are looking for a good trail bike, there are others and the old school 500 Hondas are arm stretchers and cheap. Better streetbikes are availible in the $800 range as well.

Depending on the guys situation, flashing 5 $100 bills, or better, a roll of 25 $20's while casually mentioning that while it is a good bike, there are some issues. If they tell you to get bent, thank them for their time. Otherwise, you never know. But when I was in your situation, I would have been leary of this bike. I still would have bought it, it would blow up and I would have it sitting in my back yard to remind me of my bad purchase.

minimac
minimac Dork
3/8/09 8:03 a.m.

The vintage $800 Suzuki GT250 that EvanB is selling (2009 classifieds)would be a better purchase for the money.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/8/09 1:45 p.m.

He sold it.

Good, because I think he firm on price.

The search continues in the sub-$400 range.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/8/09 3:53 p.m.

2 stroke. You'll love tuning the carb.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/8/09 4:59 p.m.

Found a $200 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR that needs some work.

Also a Honda Twin Star for $650, but that's out of range again.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
3/9/09 12:30 a.m.

How far are you from Delta, pa? Found this: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1058901811.html

Might be worth talking them down..

Our Preferred Partners
2fBAwqgBzcHaDmR38uePQVbHCTxzPr7JoQsHEPFo8msqjsWRx0LT3KoGCZRZduc5