AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/17 7:23 p.m.

So I went to look at and test ride a bike tonight.

2001 Suzuki SV650

I forget how many miles. 40k I think? Maybe 20k... I'll check.

Custom painted body panels. (Love the blue!!)

Late 90's GSX-R 750 front end. (BIG brakes! Dual 6-piston calipers) Fully adjustable.

Fully adjustable rear suspension. (Penske)

Gauge cluster is aftermarket. I forget what brand, but it is nice and all the sensors work.

Scott's steering stabilizer.

And there's probably other stuff I am forgetting.

The only things it really needs are the carbs cleaned, and tires soon.

It seems like a really nice bike, originally setup for track use, but still street legal. If I get it I'll probably do a few things to make it more set for the street.

So, what's it worth???

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/6/17 8:21 p.m.

I'd say $2k - $3k if it's 20k miles, leaning closer to 2k as an opener because the tires are done and these are pretty common bikes to find. Less if those Penske dampers have 20k track miles on them. If it's 40k miles... I'm not sure I'd want it at all. What is he asking?

Less molested with 27k and stiffer box aluminum frame $2500: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2003-Suzuki-SV650-122202305

2000 and pretty close to stock, 27k, $1800: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2000-Suzuki-SV650-122153940

$1800 to $2500 literally all day long in lovely shape so offer accordingly.

AWSX1686
6/6/17 9:10 p.m.

Pretty sure all the suspension is <500 miles new. If I remember right.

He wants $2k, I'm pretty sure it's fair. It comes with new sprockets and a bunch of other parts.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/6/17 9:11 p.m.

Very disappointed to see a square headlight on it. Those should be illegal.

I do like the blue though.

AWSX1686
6/6/17 11:15 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Very disappointed to see a square headlight on it. Those should be illegal. I do like the blue though.

I am a self-proclaimed headlight junkie, so I'm sure it would get modified. It would take a really nice setup for me to not modify it.

Also, I'm pretty sure he installed that just to be officially street legal, not necessarily for it's usable function.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/7/17 12:05 a.m.

I'm with Huck on this one. It's probably worth about $2k.

AWSX1686
6/7/17 7:52 a.m.

Even with the front end swap? Braking is definitely worlds better than stock, and I'm sure handling is too.

Overall the bike is very well put together, the guy who did the mods was very meticulous.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
6/7/17 8:08 a.m.

If it runs good doesn't smoke rides straight and turns as it should I'd say it's definitely worth the 2K. The Scott damper alone is a $500 item if you would buy it new.

These are pretty hardy machines. I have a 2000 that I got in 2001 as a wreck and it has seen nothing but track use since then. It doesn't smoke and it's still faster than I can ride it and the motor has never been opened, it's even srill on its original clutch with 100s of race starts.

If doing to the track, the first gen is what you want, for some reason, the 2nd Gen did not handle as well.

AWSX1686
6/7/17 8:28 a.m.
lrrs wrote: If it runs good doesn't smoke rides straight and turns as it should I'd say it's definitely worth the 2K. The Scott damper alone is a $500 item if you would buy it new. These are pretty hardy machines. I have a 2000 that I got in 2001 as a wreck and it has seen nothing but track use since then. It doesn't smoke and it's still faster than I can ride it and the motor has never been opened, it's even srill on its original clutch with 100s of race starts. If doing to the track, the first gen is what you want, for some reason, the 2nd Gen did not handle as well.

No smoke at all, just needs the carbs cleaned to idle better. Once its running it seemed to run really well and handle well too.

He did say that the steering damper was like $500. Link

Also, the gauge cluster is a Trail Tech Vapor, looks like its $140 new, but is already hooked up and all the sensors work. Link

Seems like a pretty good deal. If my hard tops sell pretty soon, then I am leaning strongly towards getting it.

It also comes with front and rear hub stands.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/7/17 10:39 a.m.

As soon as a part is installed on a vehicle it is worth essentially nothing. Look at any race car for sale.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/7/17 11:21 a.m.

I used to own an SV, was on SVRider, etc. Cool bikes but let down by crappy suspension. Since this one has had all that stuff fixed, it should be a nice bike to ride. Unfortunately for the seller, but fortunate for you, those mods don't actually add much to the selling price.

If you trust the current owner's work and can get that for $2k or maybe a little less I think it would be a good buy. The Penske alone is a $600+ purchase (depending on model) and, like all good motorcycle suspension components, can be rebuilt/revalved if it needs it.

AWSX1686
6/7/17 12:25 p.m.
SEADave wrote: If you trust the current owner's work and can get that for $2k or maybe a little less I think it would be a good buy. The Penske alone is a $600+ purchase (depending on model) and, like all good motorcycle suspension components, can be rebuilt/revalved if it needs it.

Yeah, especially now that I've seen and ridden it in person I trust it/him.

It seems like all the modifications were done right.

AWSX1686
6/7/17 12:28 p.m.

And unfortunately, I know he won't budge below the $2k.

I'm thinking if it works out that my miata and z3 hard tops sell fairly soon, then I'll probably do it.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
7/4/17 4:19 p.m.

Modified bikes are always a crapshoot. Don't take this the wrong way, but if the guy truly was meticulous, he wouldn't selling a bike with fresh suspension that needs the carbs cleaned.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
7/4/17 5:01 p.m.

2k is a solid deal.

Those are really great bikes for the money.

AWSX1686
7/6/17 7:47 a.m.

I did pick it up. Got the carbs cleaned, she runs great now. Beautiful bike.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/29/17 9:33 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

That's great! It sounded from the start that you wanted it and were hoping for some enabling. I'm glad you ultimately did what you wanted.

Have fun with it!

AWSX1686
7/31/17 7:28 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to AWSX1686: That's great! It sounded from the start that you wanted it and were hoping for some enabling. I'm glad you ultimately did what you wanted. Have fun with it!

Thanks! I have ejoyed it so far!

Ironically, I am also trying to sell it now.... I picked up another bike and need to clear space. :/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ui1yIKFGkoEIxXnCYleJKBg35OJvvyBfGSlB4ZztSpt0lAIBGsJOMUjRuGTqJrnK