Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/3/16 11:06 p.m.

It's that time again.

I'm organising the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride for Langley B.C. Canada again this year.

Come on out, raise some money and do some good for men's health issues. We've partnered with the Movember Foundation this time around.

For a ride in your area or to sponsor a rider, check out: https://www.gentlemansride.com/

If you would like to sponsor me (and I would be eternally grateful) go here: https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/sdgurney

Thanks very much and if this post is inappropriate, please remove it.

Shawn

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/21/16 9:13 a.m.

I usually avoid any organized ride, but I signed up for the Cleveland Ohio ride.

Looks fun, they try to keep the squids out (but I sneaked in) and it gave me a end date to get my bike finished.

I have some tweaking and fine tuning left, but I should make it for Sunday.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/21/16 12:12 p.m.

Now I need an old British bike leaking in my garage.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/21/16 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

Worse. It's Italian.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/21/16 12:57 p.m.

My closest town (Scranton, PA) is participating... but I can't see the route, the start location or timing without registering. I would like to know more without entering my info into the spamotronic database.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/21/16 1:10 p.m.

I'd love to participate, but my ride doesn't fit the style guide. Lord knows the manliest things in life have a style guide.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/21/16 1:54 p.m.

MAP

Scranton Start Time & Place - 11:00 @ Kirby Park 160 Market St, Wilkes-Barre, Pa 18704.

Finish Location Name & Address - 1.Tipsy Turtle Pub 29 Market St, Jenkins Township, Pa 18640

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/21/16 1:57 p.m.

The style guide is the only reason I am doing it.

No drunk pirates on Harleys or stunters or squids on sportbikes to ruin it for everyone.

Think of it like a cars & coffee event without the Mustangs. Sure, it is fun to watch the carnage, but you don't want to be part of it.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/22/16 5:41 a.m.

I often travel to participate in rides for good causes. Heck, I travel often just to ride the ride, but something is wrong when you can't get any information without registering on the site. I like the idea, but if they have to sell my info to raise money- no thank you. I will now return to my Faraday cage and foil hat.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/22/16 5:53 a.m.

I thought that was stupid, but the just want a email, city and country. You don't have a junk yahoo or gmail that you use in these situations?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/26/16 10:47 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: The style guide is the only reason I am doing it. No drunk pirates on Harleys or stunters or squids on sportbikes to ruin it for everyone. Think of it like a cars & coffee event without the Mustangs. Sure, it is fun to watch the carnage, but you don't want to be part of it.

A cars and coffee that doesn't allow modern Italian rides isn't a cars and coffee I want to go to.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/26/16 12:21 p.m.

Well there were two Ducati Monsters, two Ducati Sport Classics as well as several new Moto Guzzis

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/26/16 2:51 p.m.

Good ride and good times?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/28/16 8:15 a.m.

My wife and I had a great time. I really didn’t know what to expect, but everyone we met was there to have fun, there wasn’t any negative attitude at all. Plus there were a group of 8 or 10 Groms and trail 70’s that were there to do wheelies and stoppies – fun to watch. We rode at the end of about 100 bikes and they did a good job blocking intersections to keep us moving. There were lots of people in other cars and on the side of the road waving and taking pictures. It was pretty cool going thru downtown in that big group.

My bike had 6 miles of testing on it before I left, I made it 9 houses before my shifter linkage vibrated loose.

My battery died at the first stop, so I have to be bump started at every stop point. I couldn’t get my shift linkage adjusted correctly at the various stops (it always seemed fine, but once in motion it would hit something and I only have 2nd and 3rg gear).

On the way home from downtown to the far suburbs, I took a route by the lake that had less stop and go. I did 75 miles on its maiden voyage, unfortunately I needed it to go 85 miles to make it home. I wound up parking it in someone’s driveway and doubled my wife home on my Monster to get the trailer.

I will have a vintage brat style bike for my wife completed over the winter, so she will get to enjoy unreliability with me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oSmtICVZaM3ABN8o2IgOXQrBwfTuoL4fWcbKpnD0xcBUWBvgYnrm8VFFSv92CWpo