motomoron
motomoron New Reader
7/9/09 10:16 p.m.

I've been a serial-multiple bike owner forever. Since the mid 80's I've had scores of bikes. It was worst when I worked in the industry and it was widely known I couldn't say no to a 2 stroke. The multiplied then did some exponential cell-division thing under the tarps in the back yard. I've been down to +-5 for a few years. The 900SS Duc left after a DRZ400SM moved in. GSXR600 track rat left to fund a KTM 950 SM. I impulse purchased a Derbi 50 supermoto w/ a 72cc kit....

I'll never sell my 79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, and I use the Zuma often to run errands. All of that said, I've hatched a crazy plan, and it's both sound (I think) and my wife likes the idea.

Sell all 3 black Supermotos and buy a brand new KTM 690SMC.

It's a tiny bit bigger than the DRZ, has 50% more HP (30% less than the 950) and weighs 100# less than the 950. It'll lane split as well as the DRZ, wheelie better, and have enough ass not to be in the way at track days.

I'll have 2 fewer insurance and tag fees, it's way less tire hungry than the 950, and wonder of wonders - It's fuel injected.

I should end up with about $4k in hand after flogging off the 3 and buying the one.

I'm also keenly aware that after close to 3 decades of horsetrading my way up from a 74 BMW R90/6, I'm finally about to buy a new liquid cooled, fuel injected motorbike. There nothing remotely grassroots about this but for the fact that I'm finally trying the not-grassroots way.

I'm conflicted a tiny bit, but I rode a 690SMC and I knew in 30 seconds it was perfect for me.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/9/09 10:27 p.m.

Is there a law that says that you have to NEVER own anything new to be grassroots? That 690 should be a freaking blast!!!

alex
alex HalfDork
7/10/09 12:32 a.m.

Do eet.

More money + new bike = win.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/09 9:20 p.m.

Here's the problem with the KTM...yeah I got nothing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E88b54NARAOJsI2WDeLt7ASa1QfxswLZQ8XYd7IooYFlIxrFTGMlQ6z4JNe2KFrq