1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/17 3:59 p.m.

I went through this a few years ago before I got the FZ. The nighthawk needed loving, I was bored with it and didn't ride as much .... we all know the feeling. I've had a motorcycle since 1998 (well, technically november so 1999). I started having the thoughts again recently because my shoulder has been acting up and I hadn't ridden this summer as much as I should have. 

Then last night on the way home, the same dumb broad (no offense to women in general, this one was just more stupid) tries to kill me 3 times in a mile. THe last one, even though I was trying to be pro-active, giving her space etc, I wrenched my back. I was tensed up from the first two, riding directly into the sun. I had given her 10-15 car lengths at 45mph and was still easing back when she decided to panic stop at a green light. Due to the sun being directly in front of me I didn't catch that she had one working brake light. So I realize that she's slowing drastically, see the brake light and do the same at this point. Rear locks, starts to slide out as I'm modulating the fronts to not lock and as I'm wrestling this thing she shoots off again realizing that this was a green light and not her turn. Something pulled and now I'm on heating pads/ice and tylenol (can't have any NSAIDS).

So this got me to thinking about the fact that I'm not a kid anymore and maybe it's time to sell off. Bike is pristine, still worth what I paid for it. It would pay for the trans in the new old truck and the repairs on her truck. No plates for it next year nor insurance and that set of tires Id need next spring would be off the table, freeing up that money for truck stuff. 

Problem is, I know what the wife is going to say. "Don't. In 2 years you'll be wishing you had another bike and then bug me until you get one again. Just keep it. It's paid for yada yada yada." IT's a convo we've had before.

So, the question I have: Those of you that did ride and sold off, do you regret it?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/26/17 4:14 p.m.

Mixed feelings.  Initially yes, then bought another. Didn't like it that much, sold it, don't miss that bike. I do miss liter bike acceleration though. Recently seen a ton of squids riding really stupid - not missing it as much and spending more time finishing other stuff. Mainly I think I never quite had the right bike which would be a triumph speed triple with a Daytona engine.

There's a lot more distracted drivers it seems than there used to be in ever larger SUV things. Never liked riding in rush hour traffic, but open road I still have an itch.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/26/17 4:19 p.m.

I sold out. I loved my bike but love my kids more and feel that street riding is seriously dangerous and wanted to try at least a bit to live long enough to see them grow up. I don't really miss it, but I've been so overwhelmed with other stuff that it's hard to miss anything. I do find myself lingering on cool bikes for sale but I did that before I sold it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/17 4:44 p.m.

I'm lucky, my work schedule is 10am to 7pm, so rush hour is never an issue when I ride to work. I live rural and work is on the edge of the loop so my "city riding" is fairly limited. While thats not bad, all the roads up here are flat and straight. No kids to worry about etc.

EDIT: with all that said, I do love this bike. It's the only bike I've ever been scared of at times, and completely at home with others. It's the first thing I've ridden that pulls wheelies while spinning the back tire. 

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
9/26/17 4:48 p.m.

Sold my Duc this summer, don't really regret it.   Didn't put that many miles on it when I had it, so it wasn't really that big of a loss.   Been putting more miles on my pedal bike, sure is nice to have to wear a belt to keep up size 32 jeans.    

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/26/17 4:51 p.m.

Not a rider, never have been and doubt I ever will be, but... 

• What is the upside to selling? What is the downside to selling?
  • What is the upside to not selling, but not riding? Downside?

I don't know what these bikes are worth, I don't know what kind of garage space they're taking up and if it is a premium or not. But it seems like you're done riding for now anyways--so you can either sell it, or not sell it, but either way you're not riding. If it is only worth $1,500 and it isn't taking up valuable space, why would you sell? If you catch the bug again later, you don't have to buy a new one. Obviously your personal finances will dictate this some.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/26/17 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla :

Most of us former riders reach a point where the joys of riding are offset by the reality of riding.  

There are plenty of people who don't see won't see or simply don't care. Add the risks of riding, bad weather and pot holes, loose sand, and traffic. 

It will happen to almost everyone.  However don't sell just park it and if come spring you don't feel better or eager that is when you sell

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/26/17 5:04 p.m.

I went fifteen years between my first bike and my second. Didn't miss it then but now I will never not have a bike. I Will, and have a a matter of fact, get rid of all my other vehicles before I give up my bike. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
9/26/17 9:08 p.m.

I rode a ton on the street from 1995 to 2015. It just got old, yet the dirt and racetracks never get old. I always suggest a healthy dose of dirt for those who are burnt out. You get to set your own pace.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/17 9:17 p.m.

There will come a day when I'm too broken. I never want to look back and wish for one more ride.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/26/17 10:18 p.m.

Was getting pretty frustrated with the local traffic and thinking about it.

On Saturday I got on my Stelvio for  a multi-hour ride on dirt but a landslide a couple miles in changed my plans.

Got back to pavement and took the first right turn I found on to some amazing, beautiful and twisty mountain back roads that I had never been on before.

I had a huge grin on my face for a few hours thanks to that. It all made up for the E36 M3ty drivers at home.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/26/17 11:36 p.m.

I would hold on to the bike for a while, till you make the decision. Spring is a better time to sell anyways.

Riding my bike to work tends to take away from the fun of riding, due to traffic, idiot drivers and having to get somewhere on time. I enjoy riding the backroads and such on weekends, where I am free to just enjoy the ride. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/27/17 12:45 a.m.

I rode from the 70's thru the 90's, last bike I sold was w/ the intent of buying new but held off, so not actually quitting.  Every time I got seriously looking again there'd be some accident or fatal that said maybe not a good idea anymore. I've hit a dog at speed, missed deer by inches and got my gravel rash badge besides dodging shiny happy person drivers. Distracted drivers have me concerned anymore even on four wheels. I'll be 59 next week and sure as hell won't heal like a 30 year old. Still kinda miss it, I would build a project or resto bike tho.

I'd hold on to the bike till next spring, see how you feel about it then.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/27/17 6:54 a.m.

I had a KLX250 that I used a lot for exploring back roads and practicing single track. The time it sat between rides got longer and longer until I realized that I wasn't riding it at all. So I decided that I needed the money for something more important at the time and sold it. A year later I really missed it and bought another one.

This has been a strange riding year for me and I haven't had it out even once, but I'm not going to sell it because I know I'll regret it.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/27/17 6:59 a.m.

I currently ride almost daily year round for my commute two and from work.  I'm at work early enough to miss the traffic but it means I ride in the dark so I worry about being seen.  In the afternoon there are a variety of routes I can take to get home.  Even though I leave before more most normal commuters because I come in early, the interstate route is the one I take the least.  It has the highest number of distracted drivers.  However, two of my back road routes currently have massive construction projects going on, so there is gravel/dirt/rocks/etc in the roadway at the entrances to those.  And one entrance happens to be in the middle of a curve (I still can't figure that one out.)

Additionally, I try and ride at least one longer road trip each year.  This year was a trip to FL and another to GA.  One was mainly on Interstate which kinda sucked, and the other was on the backroads through TN, GA, and some of SC.  That trip was fabulous.  

I enjoy riding and I enjoy riding my ride.  But I've also had that tense feeling you described from being so on edge at what some of the other drivers are doing that the riding isn't as fun.  I'm learning that I like riding on my commute to keep my skills sharp and my awareness level up.  But I LOOOOOVE travelling the backroads by bike.  This is how I want to see the US, on a bike taking the backroads. 

Someday I will give up riding, but I'm like Appleseed and would hate to give it up now when I still enjoyed it.  To Bobzilla, maybe look at when your ride and see if that changes things.  Just go out and ride the backroads on a weekend and see if you enjoy the ride then.    

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/27/17 7:06 a.m.

I did a ride with a friend earlier this summer. We had a great time. Put a couple hundred miles on that day on mostly twisty roads down south. But I don't have much time for that anymore unfortunately. With the new old truck, keeping up with the property and running tech for our local region auto-x I've just not had that much time. Throw in shoulder pain and the summer is gone. 

I still want a 2 wheel road trip. Something with distance and fun roads. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/27/17 10:42 a.m.

Bob--- you are injured now, and it's easy to get down when you aren't 100% physically.   Wait until you heal your shoulder before selling the bike.  If you sling a leg over while completely healthy, and you still are on the fence---- sell the bike.   Wait until you are healthy again to make that decision though. 

I've found myself limiting my riding to rural, two-lane roads mostly.  We have a fantastic State Park just up the road, which makes for a nice ride.  Occasionally I'll head up A1A, but even that is full of distracted, dangerous drivers.  I'm keeping the bike, but becoming more selective when and where I ride. 

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/27/17 2:25 p.m.

I made the mistake of selling off a dressed out KZ1100 when I was building a house. Figured the money would come in handy, the kids were small, yada, yada, yada. That was 25 years ago.  I was miserable for a long time. That house was sold, the kids got older, I don't even remember what the heck it paid for. Finally Mrs. Mini convinced me that I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't riding. She was right. Now I have a 1500 Goldwing, 650 Burgman Executive, Yamaha Majesty 400( I tell her it's for her-but it's mine) and a  Morphous 250.  I just dragged home a stripped down Majesty to be the 400cc donor for the Morphous and the skelly will get the 250 I take out. Listen to your wife, it will be cheaper in the long run!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/27/17 2:58 p.m.

Y'all are a bunch of enablers, you know that don't you?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/27/17 3:29 p.m.

What bike?  FZ1000?  

Wait until spring to decide.  That's a much better time to sell anyway.  

I'd keep it.  

I have 10 bikes right now and it's too much.  I might try to get down to 6 in the spring.  Getting down to zero is inconceivable.  However, you can always buy another, and that's fun.  

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/27/17 3:30 p.m.

'15 FZ-09. Bought it in May of 2015 used. It had 1000 miles on it and had already changed the oil. I've put 3500 on since. Hate the seat still, but I've gotten used to it. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/27/17 10:03 p.m.

I always had a motorcycle for over 48 years.  Always said you sell off you never get another.  Well.....Aging body and fused spine, prosthetic shoulder kind of forced my hand.   Do I miss it?  Not really.   Did have a ton of fun on them.   All this, and my wife never got on any of mine.   The guys I rode with aren't into it anymore either.   Bought a Corvette.  Having a different kind of fun now.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/2/17 9:48 a.m.

I've been riding since I was 13 and can't imagine not. So, that's almost 40 years for me. I wear full ballistic clothing, boots, pants, jacket, gloves and full face helmet. I take it very seriously. Some day I'll have to stop. Either you love it and feel a need to ride, or you don't. Either is OK. You can take a break and see how much you miss it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/2/17 12:08 p.m.

Maybe you need to go ride it somewhere with less traffic, just for fun. I'm not a motorcycle guy but I always find a change of scenery reignites my love of pedal cycling when I get bored. I agree with the guys telling you to wait till spring and see how you feel, too. Besides which, I imagine you'll make more $ in the spring than the winter IF you decide to sell it.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/2/17 12:20 p.m.

Bobzilla I think you need to sell it fast and cheap!  Let me know where to come pick it up...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AGD1cnxEJndeQsrNXPTwLBOVYP5aygixfJKeKjovJldnvWoeXGtmtXvBu6P6STAE