Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/22/09 7:29 p.m.

My father wants to buy a SV650 as a first bike, but after riding one he wishes it had just a tad less power. I have heard of throttle cams that make WOT at the wrist around 50% throttle at the carbs and remove the touchy off-throttle responce.

When I searched for this, all I could find is throttle cams that take care of the off-throttle lurch but keep wrist WOT as carb WOT.

Anyone got ideas? I would tell him to adjust the throttle stop to not allow it to get to WOT, but he doesn't want a shortened wrist twist.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/22/09 8:32 p.m.

Get a smaller bike.

Opus
Opus Dork
5/23/09 12:40 a.m.

After riding a bike with less power for a month, he will end up selling it and getting the SV. I have seen it with my friends over and over again.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
5/23/09 6:06 a.m.

Onlt WOT limiter I've ever seen was on kid bikes where thewres a screw in the carb top inline with the throlle cable, screw limits how high the slide can move.

Most throlle cams are for dirt bikes and change the ratio for start or mid range. and they don't fit inside stock housing units

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
5/23/09 7:14 a.m.

I wouldn't get one that movers WOT. If you get the one that smooths out lower end throttle response, it will make the bike much more drivable, and I'm sure after he drives it he'll be very happy with it.

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/23/09 8:47 a.m.
blaze86vic wrote: I wouldn't get one that movers WOT. If you get the one that smooths out lower end throttle response, it will make the bike much more drivable, and I'm sure after he drives it he'll be very happy with it.

I was thinking about this last night as I was falling asleep... I think the thing he hates the most is how touchy it feels off throttle. I bet one of those throttle cams will do the trick.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
5/23/09 9:11 a.m.

See if this guy can help you

http://www.rollonthrottle.com/

He sells throttles like that for enduro application with MX bikes, and the throttles may be the same. I bought one from him for my race bike, but I went the other way. I had a 1/4 turn, and wanted it to be even faster.

If it will work, its the unipro. Good guy, good customer service.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
5/25/09 7:23 a.m.

Is it a new SV that he wants? If so, just get a power commander and have it tuned on the dyno. A lot of new bikes with fuel injection can benefit from custom mapping even with stock exhaust.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/26/09 4:32 p.m.

I've ridden my buell blast for 4 years and have yet to "outgrow" it. If you can go from a 250 or 500 to a 600 in a month because you outgrew it, it means either you are naturally gifted, or you are slow and don't want to work on the basics of handling through curves so you buy a bigger bike to make you fast on the straights.

If you aren't dragging you boots going around a curve you haven't taken the bike to 9/10s and a bigger bike isn't going to help you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2tsSXovYvpyrlQgU6trBgWSPllMvYfWP9pSXTxpkRcboaTWqKNkk6v05eWYo5szB