jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
4/21/09 6:49 a.m.

What are the differences? Anybody know?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
4/21/09 8:30 a.m.

This page IDs the different years: http://www.mikesxs.net/XS_Model_ID_Chart.pdf The first year or two they had front drum brakes, and in about 1974 the frame was redesigned for better handling. There were a bunch of other detail changes from one year to the next. If you look around there has to be a page out there someplace that describes all the changes, they are a popular bike and there are a ton of web pages devoted to them.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/09 8:35 a.m.

It looks like it's the same bike just with a name change during the model run.

Wikipedia entry about XS and TX

Doh. Too late.

alex
alex Reader
4/21/09 9:23 a.m.

Hmm. That information seems accurate, but I guess I never knew that. A little odd that Suzuki used TX and XS interchangably with the 650s, because the TX series was a very different beast in 500 and 750 iterations, namely in the engine department. The TX motor was DOHC, and the crankshaft drove a counterbalance via chain, which proved to be a problem on the 750 bikes, in that it would come loose and chew up the bottom end. The 750 was basically identical to the 500, with a 3rd piston grafted on. The XS650 proved to be more reliable and more popular, and the middleweight TXs got the axe after only a few years of production.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
4/21/09 10:48 a.m.

The Yamaha TX 500 and TX750 twins were totally different animals than the 650, but also totally different from the later XS750 triple.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
4/21/09 11:01 a.m.

I didn't think from looking at pictures of the two that there was any difference between the TX and the XS 650s.

I've been looking for an XS650. Looks like I can expand the search a little to include the TX650.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
4/21/09 1:01 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: you can chop up the later ones without guilt.

So, would you feel guilty about chopping up a 74 TX?

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
4/21/09 2:00 p.m.

The TX engine was much better looking, styled after a BSA A65. The XS engine was an effort in looking like a triumph Bonneville.

They're all getting a little spendy now for anything that better than basket case. If I wanted something Bonneville-esque to actually ride I'd probably look for a kawasaki W650. Or a Honda GB500. That's more Gold Star but you get my drift.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
4/21/09 2:19 p.m.

how much would you expect to pay for a 74 TX in good ridable shape?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
4/21/09 6:47 p.m.

About ten years ago I bought a really nice 74 TX for $300. That was exceptional, though, even back then. I'd expect you'd have to pay $1500-$2000 for a decent one today, you can find them for less but they'll need work. I would agree with the previous poster - I wouldn't cut one up. They're pretty collectible as is, and in my opinion it would be hard to improve their looks beyond maybe a paint job or different handlebars If you're looking to build a bobber or something, find a basket case or get one of the newer Special models - they need cosmetic help anyway.

alex
alex HalfDork
4/21/09 7:12 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote:
alex wrote: Hmm. That information seems accurate, but I guess I never knew that. A little odd that Suzuki used TX and XS interchangably with the 650s, because the TX series was a very different beast in 500 and 750 iterations, namely in the engine department. The TX motor was DOHC, and the crankshaft drove a counterbalance via chain, which proved to be a problem on the 750 bikes, in that it would come loose and chew up the bottom end. The 750 was basically identical to the 500, with a 3rd piston grafted on. The XS650 proved to be more reliable and more popular, and the middleweight TXs got the axe after only a few years of production.
Huh? Suzuki did the GT and GS Yamaha was the TX and XS. The TX 750 73-74 was a twin that suffered from severe oil leaks at the base gasket and then again at the head gasket. The XS 750 was a 3 cylinder that got bumped up to 850 it's last two year of it's 6 year run. As for the 650 you want to find a nice mid year bike 75-80 prices will be lower and parts easier to come by. If your going for the classic british bike feel your going to want an early bike if your looking to cafe one the mid years and you can chop up the later ones without guilt.

Sorry, posting before coffee. Very confused.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
4/27/09 2:11 p.m.
Wikipedia said: This also can be a problem when the bike is put onto its center stand while the bike is running because the bike will have a tendency to use the vibrations to walk backwards. Even this phenomenon may be desirable because it opens up the possibility of backwards center stand drag racing.

err, wikipedia win?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/27/09 2:45 p.m.

Anyone on this board who has 1) an 18" disc or drum (prefer disc brake) alloy rear wheel or a pair of spoke wheels (18 and 19") for an XS or TX please catch up with me. I have a 16" rear alloy mag and I want to replace it with an 18" for my XS650 street tracker project.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
4/27/09 10:19 p.m.

Jensenman,

I have a spare wheel with tire in my basement that came with my '82 (maybe '83) 650 Heritage Special. It is a wire wheel, drum brake. I can check on the size this weekend when home, but you may know before me what size wheel came with my configuration.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/28/09 12:47 p.m.

I believe Standards all came with 18" and Specials with 16" regardless of spoke or alloy, but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Please check and let me know.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
5/4/09 4:08 p.m.

Jensenman, Wheel is a 16", as is the one on my bike, so no help there.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/4/09 4:36 p.m.

Drat. Thanks for checking, though.

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
5/4/09 9:34 p.m.

Happen to know if the RD400 wheels are the same? I know they are 18". I just GAVE these http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/1150483689.html

away about a month ago and now the guy is trying to sell them. If you find out, let me know. I might be able to work something out with the guy.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/5/09 10:09 a.m.

Yes, RD wheels will work. PM me if you can get hold of him. Thanks in advance!

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
5/5/09 9:57 p.m.

I'll call him tomorrow and get back with you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wp4o6Oc5QZBCQWzi4LUBIJWW3kmNbtWgi2sr3YMATrsEqs65VD3B1lQ7sXu4uQFu