Taiden
Taiden Reader
7/15/09 6:27 p.m.

I am going to be living on campus this year. It is a large campus that has a lot of dirt / paved trails, stairs, ramps, hills, gravel, raised platforms etc. If I bring a motorized 'thing' to school that is under 50cc, I can use it on campus without a plate, and chain it to bike racks.

At night and on weekends the campus is DEAD. D E A D. It would be feasible for me to make a race track out of the walkways at night without getting 'beefed' at.

I thought about a scooter... but that would rule out all the fun terrain.

Then I thought about a CRF50 with some street oriented tires.

Then I thought about an Aprilia RS50.

What would you do? The CRF50 seems like it would be the most fun to me.

Oh; I will have a car at school also.

Map: http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/files/Maps/UnccCampusMap.png

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
7/15/09 6:50 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I thought about a scooter... but that would rule out all the fun terrain

I'm gonna assume you have never been to a motocross track. I've seen a Honda Spree do some impressive things.

I'd say get a Ruckus. That way you can leave campus on it too.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
7/15/09 7:33 p.m.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUDQJMACjY&fmt=18

I don't really have a reason to bring it off campus. It's heavy traffic roads right outside campus and stuff is far enough a way that a car is... worth using over anything under 50cc.

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
7/15/09 7:37 p.m.

thats about right, i watched one survive many 8-16 year old kids' thrashings for 5 years. it was still running around at the last race I went to, 3 years after my last race.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
7/15/09 8:30 p.m.

I'd go electric. There was a guy at Bloomsburg who had an electric one he commuted to and from class with. And Bloomsburg was ALL HILLS! You could charge it for free at your apt., ride it to class, and charge it there too (if you get one of the small Razor ones and can bring it into class) or just leave it chained up and ride it back without charging. Bigger ones can boogey too!

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
7/15/09 8:46 p.m.

Aprilia RS50

Seriously though, I would get a ruckus or a Chinese/Korean knock-off. They're typically reliable as hammers and just about as complex.

Edit: Don't count out add-on motors for bicycles, either. Could be fun on a cheap mountain bike frame.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/09 9:03 p.m.

You have mail.

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
7/15/09 9:20 p.m.

I'd suggest getting a Yamaha Zuma. I've got a Zuma 125 and it's a riot. It's not all that bad off road either. I know the 50s can take a ton of abuse. They're around $2200 new, but you can find 03 and up Zumas for $1000-$1500 all day on craigslist.

They're decently fast for a 50cc too.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/15/09 9:53 p.m.

Sounds like a good way to get yourself kicked out of school to me - all it takes is one campus cop to see you doing this and you're toast. Plus, you don't want to come aroung a blind corner and run over some coed walking home late from the library.

danny_never
danny_never New Reader
7/15/09 10:51 p.m.

Dude, CRF50 all the way. The only reason to buy a Scooter is that a CRF50 is not road legal. You can perfect your wheelies in the parking lot on the weekends. The Ape RS50 is too large to be fun on campus.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/16/09 12:36 a.m.

Ruckus, and what stuart said.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/16/09 3:28 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: Aprilia RS50 Seriously though, I would get a ruckus or a Chinese/Korean knock-off. They're typically reliable as hammers and just about as complex. Edit: Don't count out add-on motors for bicycles, either. Could be fun on a cheap mountain bike frame.

Uh that bike is teh secks!!! A big bore kit makes em 70cc and they'll do 90, talk about FUN!!!!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/16/09 4:41 a.m.

Have you looked at what happens to bicycles sitting in those racks? What do you think is going to happen to something interesting sitting in those same racks?

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
7/16/09 11:33 a.m.

I've got a Zuma, which I love. I also have a 2002 Derbi Super Motard Extreme. It's got a Airsal 72cc top end, Metrakit "pro race" pipe, 19.5mm Del'Orto carb, conversion to run premix, and a brand new set of Michelin Pilot 125 GP rain tires (125F, 125R widths). Geared a bit short for acceleration it tops out at about 60mph w/ my bulk on it. 2 smaller friends rode it last weekend and said it was "fast"...and they're both well known national endurance racers.

It is stupifyingly cool and fun and I'd keep it forever, but a plan to sell off 3 sizes of black supermotos to get one mid-size newer one has it for sale.

They usually go for about $2k, but I've got $1585 in it, and that's what I need to get out of it.

I'll throw in a liter of extremely expensive and good smelling Castrol A737 oil.

motomoron (at) yahoo (dot) com

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/16/09 12:26 p.m.
Taiden wrote: If I bring a motorized 'thing' to school that is under 50cc, I can use it on campus without a plate, and chain it to bike racks.

Check your local listings....

In New York you can have a motorized thing under 50cc but it has to be registered (a plate) to prove ownership. Because it's up to 49cc your DMV Drivers License covers it, 50cc and up, you need a Motorcycle License.

http://www.50cc-motorcycles.com/

Taiden
Taiden Reader
7/16/09 12:47 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Sounds like a good way to get yourself kicked out of school to me - all it takes is one campus cop to see you doing this and you're toast. Plus, you don't want to come aroung a blind corner and run over some coed walking home late from the library.

I appreciate the concern, but I wouldn't be scraping pegs around blind corners anywhere near where people travel. I'd leave anything of that nature for the trails that circumvent campus.

foxtrapper wrote: Have you looked at what happens to bicycles sitting in those racks? What do you think is going to happen to something interesting sitting in those same racks?

The plus side of getting a fitty is that I could store it overnight in my car, and park it at bike racks during the day. I have seen what happens to bicycles, but it only happens at night.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
7/16/09 2:15 p.m.

Store it in your car? Do you drive a van?

I vote for a 50cc scooter.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
7/16/09 4:27 p.m.

The old honda elites are kinda cool.

Found this on CL. Gonna check it out in a few minutes.

2002 xr 50 for stunt riding!have a 2002 xr 50 set up for stunt riding has everything you need to stunt... 37 tooth rear sproket- 50.00 14 tooth countershaft sproket- 16.00 420 chain gold - 50.00 stunt graphics (not put on)- 60.00 plastic throttle tube- 20.00 tripple clamp- 100.00 big bar- 80.00 extended front cable- 25.00 rear break knobs -8.00 break levers -13.00 extended throttle cable -25.00 extended break arm - 50.00 break shoes -22.00 rear hand brake -100.00 bar ends---30.00 CDI performance box--30.00 stageII 88 big bore kit--240.00 manual clutch-170.00 bendable shifter-20.00 20mm carb--60.00 intake kit--30.00 head gasket kit--15.00 stunt pegs--55.00 stage I suspension kit--270.00 2 brand new street tires (not installed) 74.00 (front and rear) 2 street tires on bike--74.00 (front and rear) 2 dirt tires 70.00 (front and rear) tire irons--14.00 12 oclock bar-160.00 troy lee tall seat (no on in pics) 70.00 bbr spoke kit-140.00 (front and rear)

=$2016.00 into the bike my loss your gain

$1200 obo

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/09 8:04 p.m.
Taiden wrote: The old honda elites are kinda cool.

Elites are hard to find and the usually bring big bucks, at least in scooter terms. A good 150 will usually sell for around $1500, unless you get really lucky.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/16/09 9:12 p.m.

I'd like to second the motored bike thought. I bought a huffy beach cruiser from walmart and an engine kit off of ebay. Total investment of under $200.

I bought an 80cc kit. If you bought the 49cc kit it would be a little cheaper and you could pick up a bike off of craigslist for next to nothing. You could probably keep it to about $125 if you were careful.

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
7/16/09 9:55 p.m.

I'd love a scooter for commuting back and forth to school but the prices just don't make sense...why not by a normal bike?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHGC4TMjVZHgbVHhTEXP5m19yDUxF0KavMf5GeDwuclrHmU3ItthgtNrZfw1rBEy