Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/26/16 11:02 a.m.

I'm looking for a new set of sneakers for the bandit before a road-trip in 3 weeks. I've been running continental Contimotions for the last 3 or 4 sets.

But, whats new? I'm looking for a dual compound tires that holds up on superslab and corners.

Virginia and E. Tennessee are calling me for a visit.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/26/16 11:13 a.m.

In for info.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/26/16 11:33 a.m.

I've been looking at the Shinko Raven 009. Anyone with experience?

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
8/26/16 11:44 a.m.

They are not everyone's favorite, but I've always had good luck with the Bridgestone Battleax (BT020, BT021, etc - I've heard pretty good things about the T30 as well). I might be a little biased, since I work for Bridgestone and get a decent discount on my tires though...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/26/16 11:50 a.m.

Metzler. The Lasertecs are really sticky. Wear a bit fast on a heavy bike, but they sure grip.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/26/16 1:24 p.m.

I love my Pilot Road 4s, hard enough in the middle to last more than one oil change but soft enough on the edges to corner well.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/26/16 2:13 p.m.

The shinkos are more like Rubber substitute. Its what I run on my Bandit because they last forever, I dont mind it sliding around in the corners it adds a little spice to the ride. $100.00 a set is a plus!

You cant go wrong with the Pilot 3 or 4. Long wearing and stick well in the corners.

I used to run the Angels on the Hayabusa and was very happy with them.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/16 2:18 p.m.

I had the Ravens on my Guzzi, they seemed to work well enough but I never really pushed it too hard in the corners.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/26/16 2:18 p.m.

They have a GT version for heavier bikes too. This would be my choice of tire http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/angel_gt.html

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road-4

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/26/16 2:27 p.m.

12,000 miles. I run 45lbs of air

Spooning a new set on tonight.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/26/16 4:11 p.m.

I had a friend run the Ravens on his ST triumph. He loved them because he was a cheap bastard but they didn't hold a candle to the Pilot Road 3s that were on my BIL's Speed triple. Very similar bike so it was close to a direct comparison. If you are planning on riding pretty aggresively, I would suggest spending a little (Ok a lot more) on a nicer tire.

I JUST put a set of Metzeler Tourance (Original) tires on my Triumph Tiger. Nothing to report yet but I wanted something that would handle well on payment and gravel and stick around for close to 10K miles. We will see.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/28/16 5:21 p.m.

Well, I went and ordered the Shinko's from Amazon (seriously, never thought to look for tires there).

$150 shipped for the set, $20 for a tire iron set & $16 for ceramic balancing bead kit. Way ahead of any of the local shops I called.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/28/16 5:26 p.m.

Cool, give us an update with your thoughts after a few Ks

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
8/31/16 12:37 p.m.

I just put a set of PR4s on my FJ9 for a 3700 mile trip in July. Very happy with the results, and only a slight flat spot showing in the rear so far. Much better than the stock Dunlops in the dry. Didn't get much rain, but the Dunlops were E36 M3 in the wet, so I'm sure the PR4s will be better.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/31/16 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Rodan:

Just for my own personal information, how long did the Factory Dunlops last? I got caught in a heavy rain on the way home from work yesterday evening and had no issues with them, even on the oil slick that happens with a fresh rain.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/31/16 11:19 p.m.

I had some Shinkos that came on my Triumph Tiger 1050 and I did not much care for them. Not very planted feeling in the corners. Very much a touring tire. I'm happy with the deal I got on my bridgestone battlax. I'll pay more for performance and handling. There are only two contact patches after all.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/31/16 11:32 p.m.

Pilot Roads if you're feeling flush, Pirelli Angel's if you're a little less than.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
9/1/16 1:26 a.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: In reply to Rodan: Just for my own personal information, how long did the Factory Dunlops last? I got caught in a heavy rain on the way home from work yesterday evening and had no issues with them, even on the oil slick that happens with a fresh rain.

I replaced the OE Dunlop with a 2nd 222 at 4261 miles. I was getting ready for a trip I knew would be ~1200 miles, and the OE rear wasn't going to make it.

I pulled the Dunlops (still OE front) at 5730 in preparation for a 3700 mile trip. I probably could have changed them at the halfway point, but didn't want to deal with it on the trip, and didn't like the Dunlops much anyway. The front still looked great at 5730, probably good for ~8-9k miles. The OE rear Dunlop is probably ~5k mile tire. At least on my roads with me riding...

I never liked the feel of the OE Dunlop on the front... never felt really planted, and the rear was a joke in heavy rain. PR4s totally changed the front end feel: it's got a much more planted feel, and the rear is better in the dry as well. I haven't ridden in heavy rain yet with the PR4s, but the PR2s I had on my 'Busa were far better than the FJ9's OE Dunlops in the rain, so I can only imagine the PR4s will be better yet.

PR4s currently have 4021 miles, most of that put on between AZ and WI and back in July. Rear is just starting to show a flat spot, front looks new...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WHKWmczjmSMpQoM3X0zgyq3J0dOh18ufFFp6dUUTeCzRUQTFYyta5vkZ5zYLSeCe