skierd
skierd Dork
6/8/09 10:03 p.m.

I was staying out at my friend's place in Accident, MD for the weekend, hoping to do some dirt riding and back roads exploring on my only 2 day weekend this month. Test packing for camping trips later this year:

Scout Dirtbagz, Wolfman Enduro tail bag and REI camp pad lashed to EB's rear rack, and a Wolfman Enduro tank bag.

Leaving the house I started down the dirt road his house is on. It eventually turned into two track and then into an ATV trail. Once that happened, I got a little of this:

then a little of this

Then the trail became noticeable less maintained. Because there were trees down all across it. Tried to go back the way I came, but I couldn't get back up the hill where the first crash occured (got about halfway up before pretty much exhausting myself) and turned around. I got over most of them...

actually had to drag the bike across that one, as I couldn't stand it back up without it sliding down the hill. After another few hundred yards, the trail disappeared. I ended up fording (and almost getting stuck in) Bear Creek trying to get to the road on the other side, bushwhacked my way through the woods and found myself...

stuck

Called my friend, waved down two guys who were driving past to help, and got the bike up and over the guard rail.

Fortunately nothing broke on the bike, though I ended up with quite a few bruises. Learned that I need a real rear tire, or at least a new one, like nothing else right now. Learned that while a pressure suit and knee guards are nice, I need hip armor too... (two nice big bruises, one on each side, one from a rock, one from a log that felt like it stabbed me).

Also learned to never go off on a trail without water, even if you only plan on being out for a "little while". I was in pretty bad shape as my "little while" ended up being about 5 or 6 hours of working my ass off in the middle of the woods trying to get out. Fortunately there was a house near the road... while no one was home, they did have a hose outside. Man did that water taste so good...

To top it off, later that evening we were going to shoot some trap using a hand thrower except my friend, who had never used one before, threw a clay pigeon into my elbow. Got a couple nice cuts out of that one... FML

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
6/8/09 10:24 p.m.

That sounds like a pretty rough day. Still better than a day at work though, right? It looked like you lost some gear (the pad) but hope all your injuries heal fast, then do it again next weekend (on a different trail of course).

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
6/8/09 10:44 p.m.

You need real knobies, that will make a world of difference. I used to ride in stuff like that all the time when I was younger (and I still would if I had acces to it) I don't know how experienced you are, but that makes a lot of difference too. I was definitly an above average back woods trail rider, and I was once spanked hard by an old timer on a smartly prepped dual sport Honda (I rode a pure off road ktm). So keep at it and maybe you will be riding that trail blind folded and backwards a year from now.

Also you may want to consider using the buddy system when going in unknown territory. I've known guys that have had to go out on recovery missions to find off roaders that have gotten in over thier heads. Lastly, this is a YMMV issiue, I've found that too much protective gear is more of a liability than a help. (I could never stand ridding for long distances with hip/knee/elbow pads. quality ridding clothes with sewn in pads was always better IMO)

skierd
skierd Dork
6/8/09 11:05 p.m.

I didn't lose any gear, if you're referring to the sheepskin pad I took it off and left it at the place I was staying at, if you're referring to the pressure suit on the log I took it off to stop from overheating while I was dragging the bike.

I'm not very experienced at all and was admittedly completely over my head from about the second I went down the hill where I first crashed. Prior to that hill, the trail was much wider, wide enough to get a jeep through, and wasn't nearly as soggy, rocky, or root ridden. I made the ASSumption that it would continue like that. Real tires definitely would have helped, a big reason why I couldn't get back out when I tried to turn around is the rear deathwing got clogged with mud and couldn't get a purchase on the wet, muddy roots or rocks. I'm ordering D606's as soon as I get paid next week lol. Fortunately I wasn't too far from the road I eventually ended up on/beside, or too far away from houses I could walk back too, so the only thing that would have needed recovering was the bike, but before I knew the road was right there I was definitely 100x more worried.

I find armored clothing more convenient, at least on the road, but prefer having the protection directly on me, especially in the dirt. FWIW, I was wearing Alpinestars Tech 6 boots, EVS Knee guards, Klim Baja pants, 661 Pressure Suit, Moose MX jersey, Olympia gloves (need replacing now), and an HJC CL-X5N helmet with ProGrip googles. Had I been wearing armored shorts like the 661's or Forcefield or Bohn, I probably wouldn't even be bruised.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
6/9/09 6:53 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: You need real knobies, that will make a world of difference. I used to ride in stuff like that all the time when I was younger (and I still would if I had acces to it) I don't know how experienced you are, but that makes a lot of difference too. I was definitly an above average back woods trail rider, and I was once spanked hard by an old timer on a smartly prepped dual sport Honda (I rode a pure off road ktm). So keep at it and maybe you will be riding that trail blind folded and backwards a year from now. Also you may want to consider using the buddy system when going in unknown territory. I've known guys that have had to go out on recovery missions to find off roaders that have gotten in over thier heads. Lastly, this is a YMMV issiue, I've found that too much protective gear is more of a liability than a help. (I could never stand ridding for long distances with hip/knee/elbow pads. quality ridding clothes with sewn in pads was always better IMO)

what he said.. ^

I rode amature woods trials when i was a kid (and allot of mx as well), on old heavy metal tanked behemoths (this was in the early/mid 80's so think mid 70's era 125s, mostly kawi's) but with the right tires and gearing for the wood i was riding, i could go right over 12"+ logs and through deep mud, its all in the set up, good balance and upper body strength doesn't hurt either. as for gear, i dont recall using anything more than knee/elbow pads a kidney belt and a helmet...

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
6/9/09 9:34 a.m.

We have lots of that stuff locally. Sometimes I'll take the KLX out after supper for a few hours, and hope I don't get stuck in the bush after dark

Opus
Opus Dork
6/10/09 12:28 a.m.

Please use the buddy system. It sucks being stuck in the middle of nowhere when there is no one to help you but that wild animal.....

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/10/09 12:55 a.m.

Just after righting the thing for about the 100th time that day...

Stuck in the snow....

Not me, but taken about 2 seconds before this experienced rider dumped that KTM on the pointy rock to his left and cracked his gas tank in the middle of nowhere New Mexico.

Trail bikes dump. Look at the Aersostich catalog. They have some great mesh kevlar armour that fits under pants and shirts.

I would also look at Kendas 400 series before investing in the Dunlops. They are pretty cheap and I love them. Very sticky in the soupy stuff and predictable on the tarmac.

I 2nd your statement about water. If I throw a leg over my DR, I have a camelback.

But honestly, I also 2nd the part about it being better than a good day at work.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
6/10/09 6:24 a.m.

another thought... make some hand gaurds for the bars.. i dont know about you guys, but ive broken every finger on each hand, some twice... and half of that could of been avoided with a $2 strip of aluminum bent appropriately to stop branches and rocks from impacting my digits... the other half of the breaks had nothing to do with bikes, lets just say i grew up in a rough neighborhood...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/10/09 1:04 p.m.

BarkBusters FTMFW!!

Those things saved my knuckles more times than I can remember. Added benefits: the plastic guards keep your knuckles from freezing and a limb can't grab your throttle, brake or clutch (yes that has happened to me).

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
6/10/09 9:55 p.m.

^^+10000 on the bark busters!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOYJd81dDHKNcVWwvhfpdAh4w5aVyvGlCew1wyK9pMZ0X8lBw6Nzf9Ug797mv7hi