Matt_Smith
Matt_Smith New Reader
8/15/11 1:32 p.m.

I'll be shopping around for some generic parts, stuff like speedo's, and grips, etc. Where do you guys and gals shop?

alex
alex SuperDork
8/15/11 3:26 p.m.

I'd recommend going to a good shop and actually going through their catalogs. The various distributors (Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited, etc) will all have rather similar stuff, but you may be able to find the particular variation you need between yourself, the catalog, and the parts guy.

Additionally, making returns and such should be less of a hassle, and you'll develop a good relationship with a shop, which is a nice thing to have when you're in the middle of a build.

(Former parts guy here.)

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
8/15/11 5:22 p.m.

The last parts order I made was through a local bike mechanic. Every single part was cheaper than Bike Bandit.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
8/15/11 9:13 p.m.

I've had good experiences with Motorcycle-Superstore.com

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/15/11 9:49 p.m.

It would help to know what kind of bike you have - make, model, year.

Matt_Smith
Matt_Smith New Reader
8/16/11 9:08 a.m.

Sure. '92 Yamaha XJ600S Seca II

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/11 9:25 a.m.

mikesxs.com also has some parts that would be good for that bike.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/16/11 9:27 a.m.

OK, for Japanese bikes I've used Bike Bandit and Dennis Kirk. As mentioned it's a good idea to check out local independent bike shops as well. Also, I'd check with the local Yamaha dealer while you're at it - you never know, sometimes their pricing on parts will be competitive with aftermarket.

I'm not a Yamaha guy, but there has to be someone out there who is selling NOS parts for the older bikes (it seems there's at least a few for any brand name you can think of, they go around the country buying old inventory from dealers for resale.) If you check out the Yamaha forums you'll probably find some contacts.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
8/16/11 11:42 a.m.

I have purchased almost everything for my '78 GS750 cafe build here: Cycle-re-cycle Part II. They have good prices and excellent customer service.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
8/16/11 9:18 p.m.

I got the speedo and tach for my XS650 from mikesxs.com pricing was great, quality seems very good so far. Old Bike Barn has helped me out more than once. Also NW Vintage Cycle Parts http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/ had a clutch release 'screw' for my bike when everyone else was out of them. D2Moto http://www.d2moto.com/ has O ring chains for CHEAP. I got one for my bike, quality etc seems just fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lHDOUPrxuYAI59FC2dDju5sYDLidpsTjRX9G3HEHsF1dPGME6ClWAyjtRukDx1Zp