Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
1/2/12 9:17 p.m.

Goldwings that is. After much thought, it seems like the perfect highway bike and if I get a project bug I can always make it naked. There are a ton of these things on Craigslist.

Here is the add with the most text: 1987 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstate for sale here. Bike has about 73,700 miles on it. It gives no trouble running. New starter cranks it right up. Two new dunlop tires with less than 50 miles on them. Shoot me an offer or a trade. Prefer Cash. Clean and clear title in hand. Just email me or call/text Austin at (864)-617-0397. $2500 obo

So far it seems the problem areas are front shocks, carbs (rebuilding/syncing), timing belts and starters. Ideas from the masses?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/3/12 5:24 a.m.

For what it's worth, the GL1200/Gl1800 can't be turned into naked bikes.

Well they could, but not pretty like a GL1000/GL1100

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
1/3/12 6:05 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: For what it's worth, the GL1200/Gl1800 can't be turned into naked bikes. Well they could, but not pretty like a GL1000/GL1100

I see tons of potential right there. WOW. Imagine lower bars, stuff cleaned up after the seat, different pipes and a cowl/fairing over part of the side

I like it

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/3/12 6:58 a.m.

Very much like the old 1200 Wing. One of the most nimble feeling of the big dresser bikes.

Known problems with the stator, easily addressed. The fancy models with more gee gaws are getting much more difficult to fix due to parts availability difficulties.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/12 8:49 a.m.

A couple of things to keep in mind according to a friend of mine who's a bit of a Goldwing expert:

• The fairing isn't as effective as it looks. This might or might not be a consideration, but something to keep in mind. For all-year weather protection a BMW K1100LT is much better.
  • The fours with all the trimmings are underpowered, the naked ones are much better and the 1200 is supposed to be OK. Avoid the full fairing 1100.

I wouldn't mind an original naked 1000, albeit with European bars on it. Need a bigger garage first, though.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/3/12 11:52 a.m.

Unless you're set on an early wing- and they can be cool naked-Go '83 or newer. There was a geometry change that is quite noticeable. I ride my '93 GL1500 year round and the fairing has proven to be more than sufficient. The only time I get wet, when in the rain, is when I stop. Most of my riding now is country or highway touring and it can't be beat. Plenty of room for stuff and smooth power. The only downside for me has been gas mileage. I'm right around 40-sometimes more, sometimes less. And it doesn't matter if I'm loaded, two up or by myself. Mine is carb'ed so maybe with some tweaking I can pick up a bit more. The 1200s are only underpowered compared to the new bikes, there is more than enough power for the riding they are designed for. A clean, good, lower mileaged 'Wing can be had all decked out for way less than $3K. Probably the best board is http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/ Timing belts area easy DIY, and carbs are not a big deal. The biggest issue is with them being dirty/gunked. earlier models had a stator longevity problem, but there is an easy work around/upgrade for that. Fork seals are not a big issue-don't forget you're looking at a bike that's 25 years old, more or less, and there is a huge aftermarket.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
1/3/12 3:27 p.m.

Great information! I am not stuck on any style or "look". I just want a bike that I can find parts for, ride in reasonable comfort and pay a reasonable price for parts.

So far the search has come down to either a 'Wing or bmw LT of some sort. The drive shaft and gauge console stories from the BMW's give me the willies. But i will say that sitting an oil head LT was the most comfortable I have ever been on a bike before.

I love all things BMW and admire all things Honda. 3k is right in my budget and I am fairly mechanical with everything but carbs. I think my main attraction to the BMW's is that are FI and well, BMW's.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/12 8:36 p.m.

Minor point - BMW LTs aren't oilheads, they have the four that are turned on its side. They're very comfortable, especially the K1200LT, but that's still an expensive bike. I've owned several K bikes (plus a bunch of boxers, both oilheads and airheads) and while the doom & gloom on Th3 Interwebz is based in fact, IMHO it's out of proportion. Yes, you have to lube the various splines from time to time but overall they are robust bikes if the OEM maintenance schedule has been followed.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
1/3/12 10:31 p.m.

Good to know that all the bmw's have that maintenance requirement

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
1/4/12 6:59 p.m.

For 3 grand or so, how do I pick between a wing, a brick or oil head?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 4:17 p.m.

I was hoping for wing recipes!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/7/12 4:28 p.m.

Here ya go East Coast: http://www.ngwclub.com/

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 6:55 p.m.

Ooh, naked wings. I like.