Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 4:51 a.m.

This thread contains accepted Concours d'Cancelation entries in the Cars of the 80s and 90s Class - Presented by Redwood's Rad For Sale 

Comments are locked at this time.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:41 a.m.

1993 Mustang SVT Cobra 

Wayne R. Linn

Pennsville, NJ

Cars of the 80s and 90s

Tasked with developing a limited production high performance car for the final year of the Fox body platform, Ford's newly formed Special Vehicle Team introduced the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra. Modifications in collaboration with Roush Engineering to the venerable 5.0 V8 included free breathing GT40 heads, a revamped cam shaft, a larger induction system, along with other inhancements to increase horsepower and torque. Larger tires mounted on unique 17 inch turbine aluminum wheels along with a more compliant suspension sytem with development input from Jackie Stewart and Bob Bondurant improved both ride and handling capabilities.Drivetrain strengthening, free flow mufflers, and four wheel disc brakes were also added. Subtle exterior body features and a unique rear spoiler added to cleaner appearance over the GT model.

This unrestored example is chassis number 1568 of a build of 4993 Cobras and is one of 191, as equipped, finished in Vibrant Red.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:43 a.m.

1993 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Owner(s): Mike and Mary Cichon, Morris, Illinois

Class: Concours De-Cancellation - Cars of the 80's and 90's

This 1993 Silhouette was purchased in 2010 from an estate where the original elderly couple that had owned it since new had passed away. 

The grandson's were selling the van on Craigslist in Alsip, Illinois. At the time our 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport had 210,000 miles on the clock and we were in the market for a replacement "Dustbuster." 

When I called the seller late on Friday evening they said, "It looks pretty good no rust or dents." "No one in our family wants it because it looks like a rocket ship!" It was obvious the seller had no knowledge of the composite body panel construction and any of the unique features of these vehicles.

I asked how many miles were on the van as the ad said 15,000. I thought this was a typo. No it had 15,000 miles and was absolutely mint!  Needless to say I was on their front porch with cash in hand on Saturday morning at 7:00. It took several weeks to get the title from the estate and complete the purchase, but the price was reasonable, and well worth the wait. 

We have owned three "Dustbusters" purchasing a "new" 1992 Chevrolet Lumina APV, and in 2000 purchased it's replacement, a low mileage 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport. I am an expert in the ways of the "Dustbusters" having put nearly 500,000 miles on the trio we have owned over the years. This 1993 Silhoutte now has nearly 100,000 miles on the clock and and like the others has been bullet-proof reliable!  It recently made a round trip from Illinois to Florida and is still in full service as the "Family Dustbuster."

The Olds Silhoutte was the Halo Vehicle in the 1995 movie "Get Shorty," where it was heralded as "The Cadillac of Minivans!"

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:43 a.m.
  1. Car: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

2. Owner(s): Mark Woudsma

3. Location: San Jose , CA

4. Proposed Class(es): Cars of the 80s and 90s

5. Details:

This 1981 Delorean started its story in May '82 after being purchased by its first owner, Mr Skip Hess of Mongoose Bicycles. Then the Delorean went directly to Fat Jack Enterprises in Hawaiian Gardens, CA, to be customized into the rad ride you see today. This Delorean is the only late model custom car built under the Ultra Cars & Components partnership of Hall Pantera and Fat Jack Enterprises. The exterior design was a combination of two renderings out of 12, that were penned by artist Kenny Youngblood. The final rendering still exists today and was reunited with the car in early 2020.

Under the skillful hands of Fat Jack and his team, using the Youngblood rendering, the paintwork was completed, the suspension highly modified, and the custom one-off aluminum Ultra wheels (by Hall Pantera) were fitted to the car.

In Feb '84, the story of the car was featured in Sports Car Graphic Magazine, where the current owner, Mark, saw this very Delorean as a young kid. From then on, he was always a DeLorean enthusiast. Mark purchased his first DMC in 2007 and remembered this car, and even considered attempting to replicate it, as it was not known where it was or if it still existed.

In early 2017, Mark spotted a picture on the car online, instantly recognized it, and was able to purchase the car later that year. In the last three years, Mark has performed a very detailed restoration of the mechanicals of the car.  The exterior and interior were in remarkable original condition, and remain so. In Feb/March 2020, an engine/transmission-out project was completed, which also included restoration of the rear frame area and rear suspension.

Known today simply as "The Mongoose DeLorean," it is the only known example to have been painted in this fashion, with its stainless steel skin still exposed on the top half of the car.

This DeLorean was assembled in Dunmurry, Ireland, in Aug 1981 and features a black interior, 5-speed transmission, and the characteristic gas-flap hood. The 2.8L V-6 engine remains and the car has 15,000 miles. In June 2018, this car was shown for the first time in more than 30 years to a large public audience at Radwood Norcal and won Best in Show, the Most Raddest award. It's truly One Rad DMC.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:44 a.m.

Car:        1991 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 Twin Spark A.S.N.

Owner:  Jim and Jan Webster

Class:     Cars of the '80s & '90s

We found this car on the internet in Turin, Italy.  Vito, the seller, didn't speak English and we don't speak Italian.  We communicated by using Google Translate in emails, and struck a deal for the car.  It came to our home in October, 2019.  We are now the third owners and the car showed 71.555 kms (~44,460 miles) on the odometer when it arrived.

The Alfa 75 was introduced in 1985, on the 75th anniversary of Alfa Romeo.  The 75 came to the US in 1986 through 1989 as the Milano, with 2.5 or 3.0 V6 engines.  All 75s had transaxles and 4 wheel disc brakes.  The 75 cars had excellent handling.

The 2.0 Twin Spark 4 cylinder engine features two spark plugs per cylinder, two coils, and two distributers.  This configuration produces 148 hp, 28 hp more than the Alfa Romeo Spider.  The engine block and head are aluminum.

The A.S.N. is a limited edition of the 75 2.0 Twin Spark.  When it was decided by Alfa to end production of the 75 series, about 3500 Twin Sparks were fitted with Recaro seats, fog lamps, power front windows, power steering, a leather wrapped steering wheel, Speedline 14" wheels, and a numbered dash plaque.  This car carries the #3130.  Production of the 75 ended in 1992.

This car was entered in and has been selected to be displayed at the 2021 Amelia Island Cars & Coffee Concours event on Saturday, March 6. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:45 a.m.
  • Car: 1999 Acura 2.3CL Premium - Milano Red on Ivory Leather
  • Owner: Tyson Hugie
  • Proposed Class(es): 1980s and 1990s (RADwood)
  • Details: As an Acura collector specifically dedicated to neo-classic cars of the 1980s and 1990s, this 1999 CL was the last car I needed to acquire in order to complete my collection of the entire 1996-98 Acura fleet (six cars). I also have Acuras from other eras. This CL is particularly rare because it was the last year of the first generation, and comes configured in a 1-year-only color and a manual transmission. Thanks for reading about my car.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34kZBtwSTn0

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:48 a.m.

1988 Plymouth Gran Fury

Third Owner: Xavier Paul

Harford County, Maryland

Daily Driven 

submitted for the "Cars of the 80's and 90's category

Details: Vehicle is a 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury with a stock 318 V8 engine with lean burn computer and just over 61K original miles. its dark maroon with red interior an no AC. 

My Father had an obsession with the M body line of cars following his service with the Police Dept amounting in a total of 4 cars at one point. he passed the obsession on to me and it has been my lifelong dream to own an M body Chrysler as my first car. Unfortunantly his cars had deteriorated over the years from being daily driven and no longer ran so i turned to finding one of my own. I purchased this car from Youtube user "East Coast Classics" and i have been sorting out the cars issues ever since like its lean burn computer and stalling. over all the car has been a great daily and a great first car. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:49 a.m.

Car: 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Owners: Tim and Amy McNair

Class: Cars of the 80's and 90's

Purchased the car last year. Originally delivered to Japan, then Canada, North Carolina and finally traded in at Aston Martin NE. Extensive mechanicla improvements, new suspension, 1552 wheels, new tires, Factory carbon fiber rear wing, Group N exhaust. Upgraded stereo, Carbon Momo Cavallino steering wheel, short shift kit. Cleaned up and detailed. Driven as much as possible.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:49 a.m.

1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Mark Smith

Kingsville Maryland

Cars of the '80s & '90s

This is my 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL 5speed coupe, finished in Saphire Blue Metallic with a gray cloth interior. I was fortunate enough to purchase this vehicle from the original owner with just under 35,000 miles. The car was initially ordered as a "demo" car for Schaefer & Strohminger Mazda in Baltimore Maryland, that being said it's an extremely well optioned 1986 FC RX-7. Factory options include power sunroof, factory radio with equalizer, and push button adjustable sport suspension. Gary the original owner traded in his 1980 FB RX-7 for this car in late 1986. He drove it sparingly in the 33 years he owned it, his quaint waterfront home off the Chesapeake Bay housed this car for those 33 years. The Mazda was always kept right in the middle of the two car de-attached garage on his property never exposed to Maryland winter.  I bought this car from Gary in mid 2019. One of the first upgrades was installing later Mazda BBS RZ wheels on the RX-7. This really amplified the look of the vehicle, though its not the much sought after Turbo model aesthetically it's just right for me. Since then I've put an additional 2,000 miles on the car and was gearing up for Radwood Philadelphia 2020, which was something I genuinely was looking forward to since I purchased this RX-7. Nontheless here are the photos, I hope they do the car justice! 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:50 a.m.
  • Car: 1986 Audi 4000 CS quattro 
  • Owner: Kyle Saenz
  • Proposed Class: Cars of the 80's & 90's
  • Details: I purchased the car a few hours north in Pennsylvania after seeing it for sale for the better part of 6 months. It had a lot of work done already including an engine swap from a 1991 Audi 200 20v. Unfortunately it had been parked for a few years and was not running well with a lot of issues that I think turned off most prospective buyers. I took the plunge and within a year I was doing a full rebuild of the engine with forged internals and many other high performance parts. All of the work on the car from the engine rebuild and tuning to the gauge cluster, I have done myself. The car is now making about 450hp and I couldn't be happier with it! This is my forever car. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:51 a.m.

1990 BMW Z1

Fran Hughes

Sunset, SC

BMW class

BMW's first shot at a small 2 seater sports car to compete with the small Mercedes. It features multiple new technologies, most strikingly the electrically operated drop down doors and windows. All new composite body panels which could be changed if the owner desired to a different color and projector beem headlights were unique at the time. Unfortunately the Z1 was too expensive to produce and production ended. But it serves as the inspiration for the Z3 family (and the ubiquitous Mazda Miata). 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:50 a.m.
  1. Car: 1982 Ferrari Mondial 8

2. Owner(s): Sheldon Wong

3. Location: Redwood City, CA

4. Proposed Class(es): Cars of the '80s and '90s

5. Details: I found this at Papa's Toys Car Collection in Oregon but backed away from the sale. A year later the same car resurfaced in Pennsylvania - I would not let it slip away from me twice. 

I unknowingly brought the car back to the same city where it spent most of its documented life. I reconnected the car with mechanic Tony of Modena Motors and previous owner Jack (20yrs later). They drove it to Monterey Car Week all the time. Mutual friend Dean always wanted a Ferrari and a trade was made; the three became best friends. 

Dean dreamed of scoring top marks in a 2004 Monterey Concours; however, due to life circumstances, was sadly unable. The car was pushed aside and even auctioned off. 15 years later, out of all places in the world this car could have gone, by fate, comes back home.

In 2019, I brought the car to Monterey Car Week as the previous owners did. On show day, I even met one of Jack's old friend who drove the car to Monterey with him!

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
tAToWw0LxRcd2QDvwHerRXX5JiLjtjrNNRYKpe9AOXVl8fBt1eYFRrtaXYP0ZrAa