Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 5:14 a.m.

This thread contains accepted Concours d'Cancelation entries in the Sports & GT Cars (1970-1980) - Presented by r.d. Enterprises 

Comments are locked at this time.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:54 a.m.

Car: 1979 Porsche 928

Owners: Farland Classic Restoration

Proposed Classes: Porsche & Sports and GT Cars (1970-1980)

Details: This Porsche 928 has spent its entire life in Denver, Colorado. It was sold new in Denver in 1979 and the first owner kept the vehicle garaged until 2014. Included with the vehicle are service records going back to 1980. This 928 participated in the inaugural Porsche Club of America’s Concours D’elegance of the Rocky Mountain Region in 1984.

This car has never left the state of Colorado and currently shows just over 38,000 miles. The 928 is completely original including the paint and shows virtually no scratches or chips. The 16” wheels, Blaupunkt radio, and full tool kit help to make this Porsche a perfect time capsule of 1979.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:55 a.m.

1974 BMW 2002 TURBO

Scott Hughes

Sunset,SC

BMW Class

The 2002 Turbo was the creation of Bob Lutz. You can imagine it as the first of the small BMW Motorsports products ahead of the famous E30 M3. 170HP, wide bodied and colorful front spoiler decal "Turbo" in reverse lettering to let those on the Autobahn know to move over! 
Unfortunately it was introduced just as the Arab oil embargo hit and journalists proclaimed it politically incorrect. So, the front spoiler decal accompanied your car in a box in the trunk. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:56 a.m.
Car: 1970 Datsun 240Z
Owner: Colin W. Gentle
Class: Sports & GT Cars (1970-1980)

DATSUN 1970 240Z
HLS 002483 - BUILD DATE 3/70
Originally delivered to the first owner at Trocelli Motors in Alanta GA.
The Z was driven sparingly by the first owner, then it was parked in a barn for a number of years. The Z then passed through a couple of Datsun enthusiasts hands before being bought by Tim Suddard of Classic Motorsports Magazine. "Classic Motorsports’ project mission was to refresh a very original barn car find. In fact, the Z still sports its original yellow paint. Suspension, interior, motor, and transmission were all refreshed/upgraded on the project. Amazingly, the history of this car is well preserved from the very first owner. It still has the Datsun warranty card, warranty book, owner’s manual, and radio manual.
Now maintained and driven, the Z delivers incredible performance.
"Enjoy the Ride"
Original Technical Specifications*:
In-line 6 Cylinder 150 HP @ 6,000RPM - Displacement 2,3934cc - 4 speed transmission
Weight 2,355 lbs. - Top Speed 125mph - 0-60 mph 8.7 secs.
* Engine and Transmission now modified
Last September I was invited and displayed at the Hemmings 2019 Datsun Z 50th Anniversary Concours at Lake George September 2019. One of 16 Datsun/Nissan's to be invited.
The Z was also invited to the 2020 Lime Rock Park Historics, Sunday in The Park Concours for the Datsun 50th anniversary, however due to Covid I declined.
Just won Best Z at the Classic Motorsports Magazine Virtual Monterey Cruise In 2020.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:56 a.m.

Car: 1974 TVR 2500M

Owner: William (Nick) Kennedy

Proposed Class: Sports and GT Cars (1970 – 1980)

Details:

I bought this 2500M new from a TVR dealer in Boston when I graduated from college there in 1974. The TVR was my weekend trips car and was used frequently in autocrosses and rallies until I moved to South Carolina in 1989. It sat in storage until I retired. In March 2017, I began the total restoration with every piece receiving one or more of the 6 R’s; repaint, replate, refurbish, repair, rebuild or replace. Except for body paint and the “long block” rebuild, I did all the restoration work. It was completed in March 2020, just in time for COVID so it has never been shown.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:57 a.m.

Car:  1972 Nissan Fairlady Z  Type S

Owner:  Joseph Rotz

Proposed Class:  Sports and GT Cars  (1970 - 1980)

While in the Navy, stationed in Yokosuka, Japan I had the opportunityto purchase a 1972 Nissan Fairlady Z.  I saw a listing on the Credit Union bulletin board and called the owner. A navy doctor had it for sale and he was getting married and she had a big dog. Two people plus one big dog does not fit in a Fairlady. So with luck and $1800.00 the Fairlady was mine. This was May 1974. I had taken a car with me to Japan so I was entitiled to bring one back to the States.  In June of 74 I transferred back to the States and my car was waiting for me serviced and ready to go when I landed at Travis AFB California. I drove the car back to my home in Ohio, after 30 days leave I packed the Fairlady up and drove to my new duty station in Seal Beach, Ca.

I drove the car for about for about 6 years, got married and life changed, the cars sat in the back yard for about 14 years.  In 2000 I decided to get the Fairlady back on the road. It was pretty rough from sitting so I decided to do a full restoration. I purschased a portable garage and assembled it on the side of the house, just enough room to work on one side at a time.  I disassembled  the entire care and bagged and tagged every part.  I videoed the disassembly and took many still photographs to help with the reassembly... Thank God I did that. For years I wire wheeled every part to bare metal, cleaned, primered and painted every part.

So after years of cleaning, painting and buying new parts, there were parts in the attic, in the closets, and under everyone bed in the house.  I retired from 37 years service to the DOD and the Navy in 2006 and it was time to get busy. I did all the body work and painted the car in my garage.  In 2010 the Fairlady was ready for the road and looking like a brand new car.  This was a ten year restoration and I did 99% of the work. Couldn't handle the headliner and upholstery of the seats. 

Since then I've showed the car at many Car Shows and Concours d' Elegances. The Fairlady has won 23 First Place Awards, one Peoples Choice Award.

The most Prestigious award was at the Classic Auto Show in 2019.  Mr Wayne Carini was one of the Judges and he selected my car out of a field of over 1500 cars for the Award of Excellence Private Owner. I could not believe it, but it was true.

I show the car in two configurations, Concours, completely stock, steel wheels and hub caps and for Car Shows where they seem to like more chrome and bling!

I am now 70 years young and enjoying retirement and showing my Fairlady.  I am now restoring a 1970 Datsun 240Z so I can have a set of bookends, a Right hand drive and a Left hand drive. I have owned the Fairlady for 46 years.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:57 a.m.

Car:  1971 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Owner/ Location:  Bob Mouck/ Dallas Texas

Class:  Sports & GT Cars (1970 - 1980)

Details:

One of only 1,128 Kamm-Tail Alfa Spiders produced for the U.S. market in 1971.            

Built in September 1971, it is one of the last Spiders built with the desirable quick-revving 1750 engine. The VIN is 19 digits from the end of the series and 12 of those last cars are listed by Fusi as having the later 2-liter engine. After a rotisserie restoration in 1995, this car has led a pampered life in California and now Texas. The odometer claims 70,750 miles. The car has some period-correct modifications - Marelli-Plex electronic ignition; mild cam; LSD; Cromadora magnesium wheels; Koni shocks; Shankle Sport springs/roll bars; side marker lights have been removed. Later Wood-rimmed steering wheel (original thin-rim in storage). Prize winner in several Dallas area concours events. The SPICA mechanical fuel injection is retained.  

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/20 7:58 a.m.

1972 Datsun 240Z

Ryan Bednarik

Mt. Holly NJ

Sports and GT 1970-80

The car was found in Washington State.  Present owner is the 3rd person to care for this car(present ownership for the past 3 years).  The car was offered online with tons of documentation about maintaining the Z and any upgrades from prior owners.   The 240Z has a lot of originality: original- interior, exterior paint, trim, bumpers, radio, antenna, dash& gauges, interior lights, transmission, very clean underside,etc.  There has been some changes: steering wheel, engine work/carburetors, new brakes, fuel pump, fuel tank, exhaust. As you can see having a classic car requred hands on by owner.  All in all great to drive this excellent performing sports car with its power to weight ratio and responsiveness making it probably the best sports car for the money in the category.  The car has been presented in a few shows of which it has been recognized by bringing a trophy home(2nd place Imports).

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
qTZOW14TOG3ZKFglxdR5k1rT9LqvmiWrQdhne5hEVF79Glg6r1acFp5w24cXTuBy