Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/20 5:05 p.m.

I'm working on a turbo design for an Audi V8 powered Boxster.  My plan is to place a huge air to water intercooler above the engine and route radiators to the fenders which have large scoops (4"x23" scoop openings).  I've heard air to water intercoolers have as much as 1/20th the pressure drop so I'm wondering if there is a reason not to go as big as possible.  I'm shooting for 600hp but I don't see why I wouldn't use an intercooler rated for 1500hp+   The car is a circuit track car so temperature control is very important but I also don't want lag, so as the title states:  is there any reason not to go as big as possible with a liquid to air intercooler?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/20 6:07 p.m.

Size matters a lot. Not that the rice crowd seem to realize that. There is a calculator online somewhere

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/20 7:58 p.m.

No good reason other than packaging, assuming that the additional size is "width/height" and not "length".   You get less pressure drop that way, and the air slows down enough to allow the liquid to extract the maximum amount of heat.(*)  Any potential issues from the extra volume are more than negated by not having to have 6-12 feet of plumbing for an air/air unit.

(*) Yes, I know I always bitch about the wildly incorrect "coolant moving too fast" theory for radiators.  The difference is, this is not a closed system.  Also, the liquid should still be moved as fast as practical, for maximum heat removal

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/4/20 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

The longer the airflow path the greater the pressure drop. Some attempt to offset that by spinning a bigger compressor. But spoiling up that bigger compressor  adds to lag. 

Is it possible to use alcohol to effect the needed cooling or split the cooling between alcohol and a cooler?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xP5pRJWxx2a4r2fwoi9RMOT06nxjxDgxRaPjjNTWWEYLUREJD0aa4H6ZjxPjzJ55