Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/18 11:02 p.m.

Just under 21 inches long; don't want it loose in the trunk of the miata when I need to take it along for autocross. 

I could buy a bigger tool bag, but don't really like the idea of getting that big of a bag, and don't really want the torque wrench loose in the bag with a bunch of other tools. 

First I looked for a bag or box made for a torque wrench, didn't have much success. I really want a soft bag, and not a box anyhow. I did find the options of the some boxes, but they're made for a specific wrench, so I was worried about fitment. Then I thought of using one of the tubes for my travel fishing rods, but the shortest one is 30 inches. I dropped the wrench into one of them, and it got stuck. Took a couple of minutes to get it loose, so that's out.

Then I thought about what other tool might need to be protected in a soft case, and started searching for 24 inch spirit (carpenter) level bags.  Found a few, but they're mostly made to carry multiple sizes, up to four feet long. 

Any suggestions from the hive?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/18 6:59 a.m.
Kramer
Kramer Dork
3/23/18 12:04 p.m.

I use a PVC tube, with a screw on cap on one end.  There's an eye bolt thru that, so I can hang it on pegboard.  My 25 year old Craftsman torque wrench looks and works like new.  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/18 12:15 p.m.
Kramer said:

I use a PVC tube, with a screw on cap on one end.  There's an eye bolt thru that, so I can hang it on pegboard.  My 25 year old Craftsman torque wrench looks and works like new.  

same thing i do

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/18 6:06 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Torque Wrench Case.

I just threw away three of those.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/18 10:22 p.m.

Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking about PVC pipe, have some laying around so I just need the end caps. 

I had been looking for another option since I thought it would be loose in the trunk and didn't want to have it rolling around. Home Depot had a long tool bag that will fit the wrench even if it's in a PVC pipe. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/25/18 12:07 a.m.

I keep my cheap Husky in its case. smiley

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
3/29/18 1:32 a.m.

I'm a big fan of blow mold hard cases for torque wrenches too. At the end of the day it's a precision measuring tool and I don't want it to lose its calibration because I let it bang around with some of my other tools.

That said the PVC pipe idea is very clever. If I didn't still have the factory case for my CDI wrench, that's probably what I'd be doing too.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
4/5/18 8:53 p.m.
Woody said:
Toyman01 said:

Torque Wrench Case.

I just threw away three of those.

That’s a $47.55 value!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pDnQI2vjfpnqPn2uEQMDjS1mETdDiMUiqfy31V5PfcRqTWhrpk3prtIpz0qsEezZ