pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/14 9:26 p.m.

I find myself in need of a new bench vice as my current one was a garage sale item that has seen more abuse than it deserved. My issue is that all vises share one design element that I don't want: the swivel base is locked in place by friction, provided by a teeny, tiny little handle. I can never apply enough force to keep it from rotating without bending the little handle to a curl.

Anyone know of a bench vise that can be securely locked into position in a series of stops or uses a better locking system?

The Canadian
The Canadian New Reader
11/2/14 9:32 p.m.

i had one at a shop that was drilled out and a bolt welded in with a nut we tighten with a socket. you could probably get away without drilling the whole tightener out by cutting off the tiny slide handle and just weld a nut to the stock.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
11/2/14 10:11 p.m.

The better, bigger vises have a friction lock on both sides that you can tap with a hammer to lock into place. Mine doesn't move at all once it is locked this way no matter how hard I beat on it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/2/14 11:08 p.m.

The good ones have a lock on each side that is operated with a wrench or heavy handle. Tap the wrench/handle with a deadblow and you'll end up moving the bench before the vice lets go.

Good reading: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/8/14 11:22 a.m.

Or find an old blacksmith's vice if you don't want/need one that pivots.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
11/8/14 4:28 p.m.

Find an old Record vice, before Irwin bought the name and moved production to China.

I've got a couple Record #4s and none of them swivel.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/8/14 4:56 p.m.

After breaking old and cheap vises finally bought a Columbian made in USA bench vise w/ swivel 15+ years ago for $275 sold through Sears. Swivel locks hold fast no matter the amount of beating and I've really wailed on it. Prolly last vise I'll ever need. Old timer told me some things ya don't wanna cheap out on, a bench vise is one. He was right.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/15/14 8:06 p.m.

You might want to haunt the gov auctions they have a nice selection but they are all in ontario.

Vises of Canada

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/15/14 8:07 p.m.

Or you could make a pilgrimage to Knoxville.

Vice in Tenn.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/20/14 9:09 p.m.

I've never owned a vice with a swivel base, never will, and I currently own six. Buy a Record, and for the record (haha), the Chinese ones aren't hugely bad.

Eb4Prez
Eb4Prez New Reader
3/8/15 7:32 p.m.

I have an old Wilton brand bolted to my bench. Belonged to my Dad, I'm fifty and he had it before I came along. Not a swivel, but it's tough..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/15 8:26 p.m.

My HF vise has locks on both sides. I've ripped a vice in half but never had one slip.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTXp7ppD3QObwqbaDBHboxLkUY4cLyAiTl9RfdcDMwosTrP54CkzXsMgv189tmY7