VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/19 2:08 p.m.

One issue I have had with the Dodge since I built it has been the stupid tail lights. The buckets have been slowly disintegrating and the sockets are worn out. They are to the point that the track just at touching them. Originals range from about $300 and up...PER SIDE! 

Seriously, I came up with this idea in my sleep. It surely will trigger purists, but for a mostly track day car this worked ok. About $30 in lexan, as much in LED lights from Amazon, and a little time and this is what I came up with. Not finished just yet as I have to get the hardware to mount the LED lights with. BTW, they are dual lights with bright brake lights and dimmer running lights like the originals. 

I welded up a frame that matched the original mount holes of the bucket. Used the old tail light to make a pattern for the lexan. 

Painted the back side black. I'll post up the finished project once I get the hardware for the lights.

Adelphie2
Adelphie2 New Reader
9/10/19 9:02 a.m.

Search for another one if you aren't happy to pay $700. I have seen and researched fore tail lights 66-77 early ford Broncos. The price range is about $250-$300 cheaper than yours. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/19 9:39 a.m.

Anything that keeps a car driving is good. Anybody who thinks otherwise isn't a purist, they've lost the plot.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/10/19 2:12 p.m.

Same situation with the Challenge Volvo 760.

Fixed with some cheap ebay trailer lights

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/10/19 2:34 p.m.

I like the idea, and have done similar things with my old MoPars over years.   As long as it works, and looks cohesive with the rest of the build, go for it.

Although I doubt you will find many '74 Charger purists around, regardless.

VegasNick
9/19/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Adelphie2 :

IT's a race car, so I am nowhere near politically corect on the build. LOL

VegasNick
9/19/19 1:40 p.m.
Cooter said:

I like the idea, and have done similar things with my old MoPars over years.   As long as it works, and looks cohesive with the rest of the build, go for it.

Although I doubt you will find many '74 Charger purists around, regardless.

Oh man, I've been beat up on a few times for silly stuff like using a GM HEI module with my Mopar distributor. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l4zkmMYAi6jV8AK9cNL6TdTneDGa8Rpr8QmKBNmuGfA6kmZzdAQIOatHAFAxF6zB