dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/18 7:52 a.m.

So after struggling with cutting and fitting the AN fittings for my fuel lines on the Spitfire/Miata project, I found this tip on the internet. Summit and others were recommending an expensive cutter that would cut the lines cleanly so you can fit the ends without fraying. Turns out if you wrap a tie wrap tightly around the end you need to cut and then use a cutting wheel to cut against the tie wrap end, you end up with a clean cut. Just remove the tie wrap carefully and you can easily fit the fitting (it is even a little compressed if you had the tie wrap on tightly), so it easily fits into the AN fitting. Quick and cheap!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
3/6/18 8:14 a.m.

Yes!  Also works with a hose clamp if you prefer something reusable a few times until you cut into it too far.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
3/6/18 8:55 p.m.

Hockey stick tape and a bandsaw is my go to but this is a cool trick!

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
3/7/18 4:42 p.m.

I've seen this done with electrical tape wrapped once or twice around, and then just cut with a cutoff wheel, followed by some compressed air to blow any steel particles out of the hose.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/7/18 4:56 p.m.
Gaunt596 said:

I've seen this done with electrical tape wrapped once or twice around, and then just cut with a cutoff wheel, followed by some compressed air to blow any steel particles out of the hose.

Electrical tape and cutoff wheel was our go to w/ industrial hoses. Stretch the tape around tight and cut w/ thinnest wafer disc in die grinder. Cuts like butter. 

I'd like to try the ty-raps.

Great idear there.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/7/18 5:46 p.m.

I've always used a chisel and big ass hammer (wrap the hose with electrical tape 1st).  I was alarmed at the amount of debris left behind after cutting with a saw / grinder - even after air was blown through it.  

Blazer178
Blazer178 New Reader
3/13/18 5:30 p.m.

I use the black tape and then i take a piece of shop towel and blow it thru the hose to get all the rubber out along with what else is left in the hose

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/18 3:22 p.m.

I have some good quality electrical cable cutters, wrap tight with electrical tape and they go right through.  The harbor freight version doesn’t 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/18 3:57 p.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

I've always used a chisel and big ass hammer (wrap the hose with electrical tape 1st).  I was alarmed at the amount of debris left behind after cutting with a saw / grinder - even after air was blown through it.  

This is what I do as well after watching videos from earls or Russell, I can't remember which.  It's how they do it.  Works awesome!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6aGnLpiUpm0eEZF0SnaNSdqy57WUSHbiTHh8qpAph1dt85rBVVaHW6EtX7rIVSSf