jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/6/16 9:20 a.m.

In the movie industry, electricians and video people are continually and constantly moving cables and cords.

They always coil them up whenever they move them and they almost always use a technique called over-under.

Instead of "rolling" each loop of the cable on top of each other, every other loop gets turned underneath and laid on top. This prevents the cable from making a bunch of loops/twists/binds when you pull it out. It just lays flat.

I do it with extension cords ("stingers" to use film-speak), garden hoses, air hoses, etc.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/6/16 11:09 a.m.

I've heard of this tip before but never been able to do it. I think I need to have someone demonstrate it to me in person. It would be really nice.

jdtaylor65
jdtaylor65 New Reader
9/6/16 8:05 p.m.

This works well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEd7ru24Vx0

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
10/30/16 4:27 p.m.

So simple but so exciting!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/30/16 5:31 p.m.

I thought you were talking about this method:

I hate this

I really hate when people do that to cords. It's useless unless the next guy completely understands the secret code, and they always end up spending 30 minutes trying to untangle the darned things. Especially joyful when it's a pile of 6 or 10 cords all jumbled together.

I coil larger cords with arms-length loops, and allow them to relax with each loop (not around my forearm). When I feel it twisting the opposite way, I reverse my hand to reverse the loop. Basically the same thing as the "over/ under", but doing it by feel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2EFY9aTMwmhpswkMnY1qyXNkrQ9p8Xoqkm6UoOqD1ieCpL2LXFn2vIjLqBidkzCw