Ferrarist
Ferrarist
8/13/17 12:22 p.m.

Have a kind of unusual question about cross weight balance of a car. Have access to a car weight scales, and read a lot about how to make it right. But it will be a LOT easy for me if i remove all 4 tyres, and place the car on jack stands, which supports wheel hubs. All jack stands will be leveled between on the scales as well. It will allow me great access to the coilover springs for adjustments. I dont care about overall weight figures because of missing tires, but siting in corners i guess it will not affect cross balance. Did i miss something and is there any downsides? Thanks.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/13/17 12:34 p.m.

That sounds more than a little scary to me from a safety standpoint in terms of keeping the hubs resting on the jack stands.

You might consider something like the Flyin' Miata hub stands.

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/13/17 3:06 p.m.

Well, safety will be an issue, but i can live with it......more important for me is to do it right......and have hubs stands specially for my car....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/13/17 3:39 p.m.

You need to settle the suspension after an adjustment. It can make a big difference.

The hub stands allow you to do this.

Otherwise, it is gonna be a lot of jacking up and setting down.

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/14/17 2:21 a.m.

Yes. It's Alfa 156, and i plan to loose a little bit upper suspension arm, shock and spring supporting fork as well. Suspension bind will be minimal. Comparing end results with tyres on afterwards will be done.

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/19/17 2:53 a.m.

Guess it's not that bad for first starter......

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/19/17 6:24 a.m.

That a terrible way to support a car. You are asking for a ride in a hearse.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
8/19/17 7:03 a.m.

Is the door missing?? Might want to put that on if you want proper readings.

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/19/17 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Slippery:

Since all 4 doors and wheels weight same(removed all) i dont think they affect corner balance.

Supporting car on 4 jacks with 4 turning plates, with easy access to springs is great for adjusting.....and when handled with care, you may up-down it about 8958843 times.....or at least i did it....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/19/17 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Ferrarist:

The easy access is obvious. You are completely underestimating the danger.

If you are gonna properly corner balance a car, you have to settle the suspension. Since you are using turn plates, you apparently understand suspension has lateral movement.

Your picture doesn't even show the hub halfway supported on the stand. While you are working on one side "carefully", you have absolutely no way of knowing if and when the opposite side could slip off. When it does, you're dead.

Don't be a cheap ass with safety. If you want to corner weigh your car with the wheels off, buy the proper hub mounts, or don't do it at all!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/19/17 2:15 p.m.

That's what I was trying to say!

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/19/17 2:25 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Well, all four legs of the lift is still under the car if you see right side of the picture. If i assume that worst happen, car will fall only 2-3cm on it. There is danger, but not that much....... About cheap-assing.....i live in a country where only few understand importance of corner balancing, and as far as i know here we have only 2 weight scales(one is broken) in entire country......having access to one is not an easy to achieve, and when i got it, i have a trackday car and Locost to corner balance...... Sorry, but with the luck i had, hub mounts was the last thing i had to worry.....

secretariata
secretariata Dork
8/19/17 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Ferrarist:

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that this thread got off to a little bit of a rocky start. There is a recent thread where a forum member's relative died due to improperly jacking/supporting a car so this a bit of a touchy subject. We're usually not that way around here. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here that are very willing to share what they know. I hope you don't get turned off by this atypical experience and stick around. Also, we need better pics of your car!

Ferrarist
Ferrarist New Reader
8/19/17 3:12 p.m.

In reply to secretariata:

Oh, no offence taken....i understand concerns mentioned, but had no time to make hub stands by myself, because i was in a hurry to experiment different things with these scales......and as i said i was only read how-to's here and there, and had 4 days to did it at least twice on my both cars....

My cars nothing special, Alfa 156, V6 3.0, RWD, converted it to mid-engine car because it was more easy for me to move the engine rearwards, than make it rwd like BMW's.......Locost single seater, 2.0 20VTurbo engine from Fiat Coupe, 700kg,around 330bhp, build it mostly for fun. Im sure you all saw many types of Locost's, but here it was the first build like that.

Nice forum and site, i make regular visits here, but only now had reason to post. Thanks....

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/26/17 6:46 p.m.

@Ferrarist: Please put your location (country) in your profile. That will help us understand the situation regarding the availability of tools, parts, etc. that we would not normally think about.

Our Preferred Partners
SUC6JmF4PGWpzVV76OjvF4UhfqSRLy9WdPiMtz0CXZvYlG0gduERrXK9HDu1y70f