Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
11/5/13 12:16 p.m.

I enjoy detailing cars almost as much as racing them. I also do it as a bit of an informal side business. Anyone have any tips for detailing cars?

I'll start. Get a roll of 2" blue painter's tape. Apply it to all rubber and black plastic trim before polishing, sealing, and waxing. Now you don't have to worry about leaving that white residue all over the black trim!

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
11/5/13 1:42 p.m.

Alright, but what if you already have residue all over your black trim. What do I do to get it off? I've seen videos with peanut butter, but that looks ridiculous and time-consuming.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/13 2:25 p.m.

If you do get wax on the black plastic, once you've given up trying to clean it off, go over it with a black sharpie. It'll look reddish for a week or two but eventually it will blend in perfectly.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/5/13 2:37 p.m.

Flat black gas grill paint is easier to put on than brake dust is to get off of your track wheels.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky SuperDork
11/5/13 2:44 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Alright, but what if you already have residue all over your black trim. What do I do to get it off? I've seen videos with peanut butter, but that looks ridiculous and time-consuming.

A toothbrush and some sort of armor-all like substance works well for me.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/13 2:50 p.m.

Hazy, clouded, yellow headlights? Grab your toothpaste to restore them to clear and sparkly.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/5/13 3:05 p.m.

I hear from others you should actually wash your car occasionally. Use this tip at your own risk, I've never actually tested it myself.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
11/5/13 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

I've always used one of those larger old school pink erasers to get rid of excessive wax on black plastic trim pieces.

Works pretty well.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
11/5/13 8:07 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Alright, but what if you already have residue all over your black trim. What do I do to get it off? I've seen videos with peanut butter, but that looks ridiculous and time-consuming.

Goo Gone and a toothbrush. And time. Lots of time.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
12/6/13 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

The high temp stuff is also good for repainting exhaust manifolds, headers, etc

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WqN7z3LOqFtM0JeDPZfkgHVcH0MSboNcJtYrhuE6wSzxsPspRx6PgXd1SKyRTTQg