mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/13 8:25 p.m.

I found this: http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/ a couple of years ago. I gave it a shot and it works perfectly. The only downside is you go through a lot of baking soda, but it's cheap. I used it on aluminum valve covers, timing chain covers and other such castings. Haven't tried it on my webers yet.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
11/30/13 9:16 p.m.

Recently blasted a triple set of SU carbs using this method. Really worked well.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/13 10:19 a.m.

This is an article I always remember I was supposed to look for only AFTER I'm in my car and on my way home.

Thanks

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/6/13 10:55 a.m.

HF sells this soda medium. I've used it with great results.

50lbs. Medium Grade Armex Soda Blast Media Only: $37.99

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/11/13 10:24 a.m.

Sonofabitch! I just spent hours hand scrubbing with emery cloth, brake/carb clean and oven cleaner!

My roommate has an air compressor I forget that we own... hrmm I am going to need to do this however its cold as balls outside...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/13 3:02 p.m.

If you're gonna do that, an actual handheld media blaster is pretty cheap.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/13 12:15 p.m.

I have a top fill blaster from HF. It was something like $9.00. I have never tried it. I should try it with soda. I was going to use black beauty but I really hate using that stuff. Oh another tip. if you have a wide funnel tape it over the nozzle. It really helps with the bounce back and keeps the mess more localized. I did this with s suction fed blaster I had and it helped a lot.

A friend of mine used the bellows from a power steering rack and held it directly against what he was blasting. I have not seen it in action but he said it worked really well. He clamped it to the nozzle with a hose clamp

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/2/14 8:29 a.m.

I'm going to try this on my Weber 48 IDA and see how it works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ejgITkoZcIaQjaGMWqkkG53N17DcW7ludfOsTEhxCcaMx0R3mxmILjbbzWr961xz