Jere
Jere Dork
5/13/18 2:32 p.m.

I am pretty sure I saw the title of a what might of been a how to a while back but can't find it at the moment. (Maybe it had something to do with a clothes iron?)

I used the pos hft tire balancer and guess what... I've got at least one lumpy tire now after ~5000 miles. So that hft thing is going to the scap pile and in the mean time I am looking for suggestions.

I am thinking about hitting the tire/tires with the angle grinder while spinning the wheels/tires on the back of the car  on jack stands(fwd Prius). I am expecting a mess and a lot of smoke.

Other ideas?

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
5/13/18 2:44 p.m.

Yes,please, suggestions? I am also looking to shave tires, but for racing. Our track requires DOT 400 or higher treadwear, and under $65. I know tire rack shaves, but that won't work here. 

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
5/13/18 9:00 p.m.

How are your welding skills? Something like this might be your best bet if you plan to shave a lot of tyres:

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/13/18 9:42 p.m.

Jere
Jere Dork
5/14/18 8:06 a.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

Awesome link thanks! (going to have think about making rotating chassis table like that!) The part about weighing the rubber is a good ideal and something I wouldn't have thought of 

I can weld and have a variable speed motor like that too... But it spins a homemade belt sander. Maybe I can just set the toe angle of the belt sander right and spin the rear wheel while removing rubber hmm

Jere
Jere Dork
5/14/18 8:07 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

I did say its Prius here so that one won't work in my case at least wink

Our Preferred Partners
2MtvPWGjTIp1IGhu9KTWk0SqE3nbO9aI