AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/19 3:43 p.m.

After getting the car Jacked up and on stands, I realized I didn’t sufficiently loosen the lugs.  One big ratchet strap later and I was in business.  If you don’t have old-school bumpers, you’re on your own.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
2/23/19 4:31 p.m.

If I'm changing out tires, I will shove a tire under it as I lay into the lug.  (I learned this years ago in the JY, where everything was on stands.  I also mak sure I am turning the lug wrench across the center of the hub.   A lot of times just getting some momentum on the wheel turning clockwise and then laying into the wrench will also get it loose.  And if you have a partner, have them stand on the brakes.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/25/19 8:19 p.m.

Slightly off-topic - Are those jack stands on wheel dollies?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/19 8:25 p.m.

My impact usually spins them off when they're in the air, but I also usually need to hammer the wheels off the hubs anyway. 

AngryCorvair
2/25/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

Yes.  Those are big stands, at their lowest setting.  It seems pretty stable to me.  Am i flirtin’ with disaster?

AngryCorvair
2/25/19 9:02 p.m.
RevRico said:

My impact usually spins them off when they're in the air

my Battery impact has shat the bed and I didn’t feel like firing up the air.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/25/19 9:45 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to boxedfox :

Yes.  Those are big stands, at their lowest setting.  It seems pretty stable to me.  Am i flirtin’ with disaster?

Maybe not flirting with disaster, but you've exchanged phone numbers.

I've seen similar pre-made set-ups like that. You generally want to lock things together. If you try to move it, there is little to stop the momentum of the car from rolling or twisting a stand off a dolly should something suddenly get caught under a wheel.  If those are H-F dollies, in my experience, the wheels are easily stopped.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/19 9:47 p.m.

When I forget to loosen lug nuts and I'm not using my impact, I throw a ramp under the wheel.

AngryCorvair
2/26/19 11:48 a.m.
dj06482 said:

When I forget to loosen lug nuts and I'm not using my impact, I throw a ramp under the wheel.

you know what's funny?  i had to move my ramps out of the way to get to my bin of ratchet straps.

AngryCorvair
2/26/19 11:49 a.m.
Ian F said:
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to boxedfox :

i had LOLs at that.  :-)

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/19 11:51 a.m.

Huh, I’d have probably jammed a chunk of wood between the seat and the brake pedal.

Where do you work again?  :) 

AngryCorvair
2/26/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

that only works when the car has brakes.  ;-)

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
2/26/19 12:42 p.m.

Angry - do you have a welder? If so, please put some little backstop/bumps/registration things on the dollies so that the jack stands can't slide in any direction. Dollies can still be used for normal car dolly stuff but will just have little things sticking up in the air.

But then I will stop having the squirmy feelings when I look at your Jenga stands. Thanks!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/27/19 6:28 a.m.

Story of our lives.

tyronejk
tyronejk New Reader
3/18/19 2:15 p.m.
Sparkydog said:

Angry - do you have a welder? If so, please put some little backstop/bumps/registration things on the dollies so that the jack stands can't slide in any direction. Dollies can still be used for normal car dolly stuff but will just have little things sticking up in the air.

But then I will stop having the squirmy feelings when I look at your Jenga stands. Thanks!

That might make you feel better, but it doesn't prevent the failure mode where the entire jack stand+dolly stack-up rotates and drops the car, which, I think, is more likely than the jack stand sliding out of the recess in the dolly.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/18/19 2:57 p.m.

I believe this is really flirting...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/19 10:31 a.m.
jharry3 said:

In my area, code says metal conduit must be used in place of the yellow romex they used here. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/8/19 10:40 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Shouldn't they be wearing hard hats?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GPOP3ampnTyY4qmtveCChphw9eUK2U5yhrIQ8UNCVU1gM0hEcd69V4o1UX8M20I2