boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
8/30/17 9:54 p.m.

Turns out there is a right way to get those annoying Honda Brake Rotors screws out without losing your mind. So I turned it into a video how-to:

Any and all feedback appreciated: Good, bad, or troll-like.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
9/2/17 7:12 p.m.

I have used impact drivers with success.

jazzop
jazzop New Reader
10/27/17 5:17 a.m.

I don't know or care whether you are a shill for that screwdriver manufacturer-- that's a great video.  I've had to deal with those damn screws on 5 different EF Civics/CRXs that I've owned over the years.  The first Civic played out the ugliest because I didn't know about impact screwdrivers at the time.  I've since learned to be patient, apply PB Blaster and vibration, and use the impact driver.  But I will admit, with great shame, that I had no idea that these fasteners were JIS vice Phillips.  I will now seek out some JIS driver bits to keep in my toolbox.

Some editorial comments on the video:

1. The title does not correspond well to the content.  While you use the brake rotor screws as a case study, the main thrust of your video is on JIS fasteners.  The current title is likely to get more hits on Youtube, but you should add some additional keywords or something to make the JIS screw content more obvious.

2. Tighten the chuck on your drill!

3. You may want to recommend the use of anti-seize compound when reassembling, and expand on the need to use new screws if the old ones have any damage (which they are likely to have after using a Phillips tool).  FYI, the Honda service manual for my 1991 CRX does not state the JIS spec for that screw, nor does it state a torque requirement for reassembly.  It's not really clamping anything together meaningfully there, so perhaps you should advise the viewer to be gentle with the reassembly torque.

Great Job!

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
10/27/17 2:59 p.m.

Being somehow inextricably tied to Hondas, my two most valuable tool purchases were: Impact driver and a set of JIS screwdrivers.  My life turned around when I started using JIS tools on the motorcycles

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
10/27/17 5:10 p.m.

Great information and there are many people that will benefit from that video.  My only complaint is the same one I have about most videos of that type.  It's way too long and tries to cover to much.  If it's about removing the Honda brake rotor screws show the correct bit and driver and that's it.  If you want to talk about different fastener heads then do a fastener head video.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
10/27/17 5:44 p.m.

I have an electric impact wrench.   I just used the proper Phillips head socket and they came right out, no problem. 

I did use Never Seize putting them back.  

They would not budge using just the screwdriver, it was the impact wrench that jolted them free.

tester
tester New Reader
10/28/17 10:12 a.m.

You can improve your chances with normal Phillips drivers by grinding the tip down so the bit will engage more deeply into the screw head. The Phillips drivers are designed to a lower torque than the JIS form drivers. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
10/30/17 12:44 p.m.

I've always dealt with this problem by selling the car and buying one that wasn't designed by someone who hates me. But your technique is cool too.

Our Preferred Partners
oLo3Kxr2odboZc5UeKAk1LRWq6vt2ghX