maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/16 9:28 a.m.

After many troubles with POS parts store valvespring compressors, I finally got my aftermarket high-rate electro-polished dual springs installed. Since my springs are dual and electro-polished, the overhead screw-type wouldn't grip the coil and keep sliding off, shooting my retainers everywhere. Next up was the C-clamp type. That one was actually BENDING under load, thanks to parts-store loaner tool quality these days. The valve clamp was becoming misaligned with the valve under pressure... I nope'd right outta there. I do NOT want a valvespring stuck in my stomach. Sure you can buy a $100+ compressor you'll use maybe once, and have to wait on shipping, but come on this is GRM. I want the job done tonight.

So I made my own crow-bar type compressor from a piece of a bed frame that came with my garage. Worked like a charm. Just clamp the head down to the table, tighten the rocker nut over the bar with a spacer, and push that spring down with much better sense of security. Knocked em all out in 20 minutes working at a drunkenly pace. Hope this helps someone else out there.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
5/5/16 1:41 p.m.

Cool, never thought about making one out of angle iron before. After trying (and failing) with the overhead screw type, I found one of these at the FLAPS

10.00 bucks and works like a charm, same principle as your homemade one. I'll definitely remember your hack if I ever lose it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tQM4Vgm4fS1O6KFX131qFcIoazt24l307Kwi1wB67G9tRvW62lHjybStlnelJCFE