KATYB
KATYB Dork
12/30/15 12:16 p.m.

Ok so my daily driver 2006 chevy malibu Maxx lx9 3.5. Let's of rain last saturday. States acting funny and get codes for system too lean 171 174. OK figure maf got wet. Pull maf off spray with alcohol let dry and reinstall. Still dieing and surging still have codes. OK get a new maf. Problem persistes. Fuel pressure if my Guage is to be trusted is steady at 58 psi. Stft is 26.6 am left is 21.9. Any ideas?

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/30/15 12:27 p.m.

A few years ago I had similar weirdness on my e28. A battery disconnect and reconnect would reset and get it going again. Turned out to be worn insulation on an o2 sensor. Water got to the wires and wackiness ensued. Also a weak ground at the battery.

Oh yeah, welcome back!

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
12/30/15 12:32 p.m.

Cracked intake boot or vacuum line most likely. Usually lean conditions are caused by unmetered air (leak) or MAF. You took MAF out of the equation and surging idle is a common sign of an air leak.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
12/30/15 12:45 p.m.

Intake couplers have been inspected and everything has been sprayed with brake clean looking for leaks

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/30/15 1:25 p.m.

Welcome back.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/30/15 4:11 p.m.

welcome back ... been wondering where you've been ... glad to have you back

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/30/15 4:42 p.m.

Welcome back KatyB! Have you checked the air filter to see if it got wet? My first thought was vaccum lines, but it sounds like you already checked for leaky/disconnected hoses.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
12/30/15 5:14 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Air filter did get wet and so been testing only open mad rest of intake before it disconnected.. .. More confusing update of I unplug maf it runs perfect altho rich

KATYB
KATYB Dork
12/30/15 5:15 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Ty I promise to not completely disappear again on yall

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/30/15 5:36 p.m.
KATYB wrote: More confusing update of I unplug maf it runs perfect altho rich

This leads me to believe it may be a loose or bad ground on the MAF sensor.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
12/30/15 7:12 p.m.

The rubber vacuum elbow off the front valve cover tend to rot out on those. Had a similar problem on my 06 Malibu 3.5L and that was the culprit.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/31/15 3:03 a.m.
KATYB wrote: In reply to wbjones: Ty I promise to not completely disappear again on yall

we don't have enough of you gals posting on here for anyone to disappear on us .... YOU'RE NEEDED ..

glad you're back

KATYB
KATYB Dork
12/31/15 9:32 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I revise I will not leave again if someobe figures out what's wrong with my car

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/31/15 1:31 p.m.

I truly wish I was a "competent" wrench and could help ... I can some of the time get by with the take stuff off and put stuff on ... diagnostics aren't very high on my achievement ladder ... good luck .. this one sounds funky

the only advice I ever give in cases "like" this, is there's always a bad, sorta bad ground somewhere

KATYB
KATYB Dork
1/3/16 8:47 a.m.

Update!!!!! I cleaned the 02 sensors and soon aftervwas able to get codes for p0131 p0151 and when theycpopped up vehicle started running normal. I got curious after useing propane to force a rich condition and noticed the upstreamss stayed under .1 volts

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mtH4RzJkx0UMSLVYcSH47ZIGlLWi7xsw1HAdSVDgMO64XAuvnCJpjD5XjPZP2uGU