Edan
Edan New Reader
6/3/20 2:42 a.m.

Hey all... I have been hearing a whining / grinding type noise from my front end, and the last time I tried to put it into 4x4, it sounded like something snapped.

The noise now sounds like my front left IWE is going to EXPLODE, and I am just starting to do my research...

I have found that many people are having the same issues with their 04 - 06 F150's, and have also found a TSB regarding this.

My question is... what needs to be replaced, and what am I looking at $$$ wise? Roughly for parts...

Is this going to cost me thousands, and leave me without a truck for a week?

PS... I need a good electric shaver with excellent battery, I found few good on this website, which every time will be in my car, I read a lot about Braun and Philips but I want to read real reviews. Thanks.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
6/3/20 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Edan :

I'd ask here:

https://www.f150forum.com/

I've received really solid advise from that forum.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
6/3/20 10:37 a.m.

The actuator is eating itself on the splines of the halfshaft. I've been through three on my F150 and luckily none have taken out the shaft splines yet. One was a corroded and broken IWE housing, the other two were death by vacuum leaks letting the actuators wear out.  Finding out you have no 4WD at the bottom of your snowy driveway is always a bummer.

I would recommend against buying the cheapest actuaor on Amazon unless you want to do the job another time. Do as I say, not as I do....

Replacement involves removing a ball joint, getting the shaft out of the hub and unbolting the actuator.  Shouldn't lay the truck up too long if you don't get into replacing more parts.

Our Preferred Partners
LusKh8fW1yw6SfGJ4cqxPc1m4NbIjFCZPrAR6SRdEhwPA4bk35JKIvVJLw5la2OK