Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/20/16 10:09 a.m.

Everyone probably has a bottle of this sitting around. I'm sure many have had the same bottle for years, using it just a few drops at a time.

Here's a tip:-

Go pour out half the bottle of oil. Do it now. Of course, be responsible and pour it into an appropriate receptacle for proper disposal. Or, if you are particularly parsimonious, put it in a clean container for use in 5 years when the other half of the bottle runs out. Just get it out of the damned tippy bottle it comes in.

Now, the next time you knock the berkeleying thing over with the cap off and leave it for a weekend, you won't have it spread all over your workbench in a Valdez sized oil slick.

You're welcome.

trucke
trucke Dork
7/20/16 11:59 a.m.

Wow! They come in plastic bottles now?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/20/16 4:13 p.m.

In reply to trucke:

...and the world is no better for it.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
7/23/16 9:05 p.m.

I honestly wonder if anyone has ever used every drop of oil in one of these containers.

Because oil spill phenomenon.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
7/27/16 9:20 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I honestly wonder if anyone has ever used every drop of oil in one of these containers. Because oil spill phenomenon.

Or, has anyone actually bought one of those containers. I feel like they are often handed down through the generations.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
7/27/16 9:30 a.m.

Just seeing the photos I can smell the stuff. Growing up it was on every moving part in our home from screen doors to sewing machines and I think I STILL inherited the bottle.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/27/16 9:44 a.m.

It's crazy. I was in the store a month or so ago and spotted 3 in 1 oil. It occurred to me that I've owned my house for 10 years and I've never bought the stuff. I immediately bought it and used it on all of my door and cabinet hinges in the whole house! Not a squeak in the house, and let sleeping babies lie and all that.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
7/27/16 9:42 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: I honestly wonder if anyone has ever used every drop of oil in one of these containers. Because oil spill phenomenon.

Or, has anyone actually bought one of those containers. I feel like they are often handed down through the generations.

Lol- so very true!

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/28/16 11:08 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
Robbie wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: I honestly wonder if anyone has ever used every drop of oil in one of these containers. Because oil spill phenomenon.

Or, has anyone actually bought one of those containers. I feel like they are often handed down through the generations.

Lol- so very true!

I lost the one I inherited from my grandfather in a move. That's how I ended up with a new full, plastic bottle and an oil puddle on my workbench.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
7/31/16 8:06 p.m.

I think I have at least 1/2-dozen of the old metal cans. I figure at a few drops per year they'll outlive me for sure.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/6/16 8:56 p.m.

When we cleaned out my grandparent's house my grandfather had them stashed everywhere.

turbo_bird
turbo_bird New Reader
3/6/17 9:52 p.m.

I inherited the metal can of 3 in 1 my grandpa had. I guess now I'll just hang onto the plastic bottle I bought 10 years or so ago until I can pass it on to my grandkids.

Kristian

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/28/17 6:20 a.m.

Pour it into the other oil thing you inherited from your grandfather. They don't tip over. The 3 in 1 bottle you inherited was just the refill.

Our Preferred Partners
y0U6DdgHB4yWPmu6owcnDyxyMD9y7A0Yh9DNxcdo56hJ04gYfU4227IQRIN6G0w8