kylini
kylini Reader
2/21/15 5:51 p.m.

I'm smart. Real smart. I took the valve cover off my 1999 Miata and, thinking I might as well paint it this time, I decided to twist off the metal nipple with vice grips.

So... apparently this isn't a replaceable part. I just crushed mine to oblivion so I can't exactly JB Weld it back on. Supposedly, the original is pressed into the valve cover.

1) Where on earth do I buy a new valve cover vent nipple? This is the metal tube sticking out of the driver side, which normally spits into a hose that recycles into the intake before the throttle body.

2) If by some miracle I buy one, how do I install it into my valve cover?

3) If I'm totally screwed, anyone got a non-VVT valve cover for cheap?!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/21/15 5:55 p.m.

How big is the hole? Hose size? You can probably get a barb from the hardware store/home depot that you can epoxy in or tap the hole for.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/21/15 6:08 p.m.

Tap it, insert barbed fitting.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/15 6:40 p.m.

Figure out what size it is and check Grainger or McMaster Carr.

kylini
kylini Reader
2/21/15 7:19 p.m.

I like this line of thinking. I'm currently stuck on the last baffle screw (I reassembled it pretty tightly last time...). I'll bring it to a hardware store tomorrow and get something that'll fit.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
2/22/15 2:57 p.m.

Great success! Yes, I tapped the hole in the middle of an Ace Hardware. I'll use JB Weld to reinforce the new barbed fitting because 1/8th threads are only barely larger than the original hole.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9yVqnNxVrmSZDii42bUFhe09a6xUToxH0KD3UDPwTmu8Jh45hymJHqOUXKEZMhwM