Brett_Murphy PowerDork
Feb. 21, 2016 5:52 p.m.

I had a small nut that wouldn't break loose on a clutch fan. There were too many wires, sensors, plastic and rubber hoses around it to use heat, and not enough space to get a socket in between the fan and the nut. My 12mm wrench just rounded the corners of the last nut after getting the first three off. I'm sure if I had a 6 point box end wrench that I could have gotten it loose from the start, but I didn't and once the edges were round, I was in trouble.

A 10" pipe wrench was able to grab the already ruined nut and break it loose without much issue.

mrwillie Dork
Feb. 23, 2016 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I like it. Point 1 - Brett_Murphy

RossD UltimaDork
Feb. 23, 2016 3:52 p.m.

Brilliant.

gunner Reader
Oct. 20, 2016 10:18 p.m.

One of the tools I got from my Grandpa after he passed was a 12-inch pipe wrench. That tool has gotten me out of some of the worst nut removal situations. Every time I use it I like to think my Grandpa is looking down on me whispering "There ya go bud, good job".

TurboFocus
TurboFocus New Reader
Jan. 6, 2017 4:45 a.m.

If it's not horribly rounded and I have the room... I'll dig around the garage for a 6 sided socket and literally hammer it on the nut.

It's often put just enough shape back on it to take off and replace.

If it doesn't work I usually curse a lot and get creative. I do like the pipe wrench idea, I might have to go buy one just in case.

Cousin_Eddie New Reader
Jan. 6, 2017 5:23 a.m.

For an application like that, you need battery pliers. All the grip of a pipe wrench without the fiddly adjustment.

petegossett UltimaDork
Jan. 6, 2017 6:00 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie:

Oh, that's what those are? I have a pair I acquired somewhere & had no idea what their intended purpose was. Thanks for the education!

Cousin_Eddie New Reader
Jan. 6, 2017 6:41 a.m.

They are called battery pliers because they were originally intended for corroded battery terminal bolts.

They are directional. When you use them properly, the harder you push down on the handles, the deeper they dig into the rounded off fastener. I've used plenty of pipe wrenches over the years on damaged hardware, but if the battery pliers will fit onto the fastener, they exceed pipe wrenches in their results.

tuna55 MegaDork
Jan. 6, 2017 7:07 a.m.

I, too, enjoy the pipe wrench as a last resort. I skip a bunch of steps, though, I often find the vice grip, slotted pliers, heat etc just usually results in anger. The pipe wrench wrecks the fastener but will almost always get it out.

Jan. 7, 2017 1:05 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: For an application like that, you need battery pliers. All the grip of a pipe wrench without the fiddly adjustment.

Immediately searched online and bought from Home Depot with in store pick up by the 16th, less than a minute of my time from search to purchase! Have never needed them before now but a great tip. Thanks! Oh and btw not a canoe.

T.J. UltimaDork
Jan. 7, 2017 7:30 a.m.

I just ordered some battery pliers as well. I have a drain plug on my well pump that I've managed to round off and get stuck. These look like the tool for the job.

petegossett UltimaDork
Jan. 7, 2017 1:21 p.m.

The only issue I've had with using a pipe wrench on a bolt is if the thickness of the jaws is more than 2x the thickness of the bolt head, it can be difficult to keep the wrench from twisting sideways off the head.

But a large pipe wrench & a 5'-long pipe worked wonders for removing the stuck axle nuts from a 924.

BrokenYugo MegaDork
Jan. 7, 2017 1:46 p.m.
TurboFocus wrote: If it's not horribly rounded and I have the room... I'll dig around the garage for a 6 sided socket and literally hammer it on the nut.

12 pt seems to work better for me if it's really rounded off, more or less forms splines on the nut.

Cousin_Eddie New Reader
Jan. 7, 2017 2:31 p.m.

I hope you fellows ordered good battery pliers. When the chips are down and you're throwing a Hail Mary, you need the good stuff. You want aggressive jaws that dig in like a bulldog.

Those Wilde brand ones I showed above are what I own. They can be bought for south of 20 bucks and they're made in USA. Wilde makes pliers for the big truck brands.

This is where I buy my Wilde tools cheap

Jan. 8, 2017 10:07 p.m.

Yep got the Wilde ones at Home Depot.In reply to Cousin_Eddie:

Jan. 12, 2017 6:28 p.m.

Thanks for the link and discussion, gents. My wilde brand battery pliers arrived today from amazon.

Dusterbd13 PowerDork
Jan. 12, 2017 7:59 p.m.

Just ordered mine. Hopefully they save my ass one day.

Jan. 13, 2017 10:28 a.m.

I just ordered some from here http://www.harryepstein.com/.

jimbbski Dork
Jan. 26, 2017 10:06 p.m.

Since my father was a "pipe fitter" I have his old tools which include pipe wrenches from 6 inches long to 24 inches. On the last one all you need to do is add a "cheater bar" and you will either remove it or break it, but something is going to happen!

snailmont5oh Reader
Feb. 8, 2017 2:05 a.m.

Battery pliers are one of the best self tightening tools around. We use them at work all the time. I have no idea why I don't have them at home yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

1 day ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

2 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

2 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

3 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

3 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

4 days ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

4 days ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

4 days ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

2017 Honda Accord Coupe Touring

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Honda has been pumping out Accords for over 40 years now. Obviously they have a recipe that just plain works. ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
9iz5GUHM1Y7qtfBYx6k6trS30Hg1y6kf