Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
11/12/16 8:07 p.m.

video time!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ehZOYZX1HEc

in essence, i wrap a magnet with a paper towel and pass it over the metal shavings. the magnet attracts the metal which gets stuck in the towel. then fold up the towel and throw it away. job done, no more metal filings in my skin, and the magnet stays clean!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/12/16 8:29 p.m.

Excellent tip and funny delivery. Holy cow that must have taken a long time to saw that fire extinguisher in half with a coping saw.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/13/16 7:32 a.m.

good idear

If explosions are involved w/ the new project I will subscribe

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
11/13/16 12:05 p.m.

It did take a while to saw through it! I thought it would take longer to go buy a hacksaw, drive back, and then saw it apart, but I'm not sure it would have...

Explosions aren't going to be an intentional part of the project, but there will be burning flammable gas, molten metal, and a muffin tray if everything goes to plan.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
11/13/16 5:42 p.m.

somewhat related to the magnet trick, i saw a video of a blacksmith guy who used a magnet to attract steel shavings in the floor dust of his workshop, then melted it down and forged it into a knife. i also had a professor who was working on a steel/rust and dirt auto-separator to use in archaeology. dont know if he ever succeeded though. point is this tip has many applications, and turns out i saw it at least those 2 times before i did this, i just didnt realize how i totally stole it until now

also no explosions happened but i did melt something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uYEK7pQvXSI3aLqEotGPoxrMlNGkIxzlRXHX3b1NUQa149ifHs2rCQ0OGGzV9Atp