Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/19/17 5:02 p.m.

I bought a parts car.  Its covered with many layers of plastidip. Coming off in flakes and little pieces.

I dont give a crap about the paint underneath it.  Would be nice to not go to bare metal though, just so things don't rust.

Im looking for simple, cheap, effective, and doesnt hurt thr weatherstripping and soft parts.

Wd40 didn't touch it.

Ideas?

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
9/19/17 9:32 p.m.

Gas powered power washer with the stripper tip. Hit it from about 4 inches away. You'll have to be more careful around the weatherstripping and soft parts but you can usually get the edges with plastic razorblades.

drivendaily
drivendaily Reader
9/29/17 4:06 p.m.

Stick a flat air compressor nozzle in as tight under the bits of plastidip you can pull away, and blast it off. Gentler than a pressure washer (and cheaper!)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-4BSP-Male-Thread-Aluminium-Alloy-Air-Blow-Off-Flat-Jet-Nozzle-Silver-Tone/869036868

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/4/17 5:41 p.m.

Naptha takes it off but it makes a mess.

prettybird
prettybird New Reader
10/4/17 8:32 p.m.

Can you trailer it to a self serve car wash? Hit with the water from close to parallel with the paint. I've had luck doing that at our local coin op. The pressure there is so high it hurts your wrist to run one handed. Your mileage may vary. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UpeLDEkWXmLUW4kSLkyt0oLrx7ZQ0VXTnOPuTAKNELSRhFFrdC4ddb1Na0QkCvZ6