84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/20/15 1:57 p.m.

Oh wise and powerful GRM Gods...

The rabbit is getting a new fuel tank. The 31 year old OEM tank finally had the baffles rust out. When installing new reproduction fuel tanks (steel) do you guys paint/undercoat them or just pop them in there as is?

I'll be doing my best to clean things up while I'm in there. The old tank is coming out today and it will take some cleanup and replacement of various hoses, hardware, fittings, etc before I'm ready for the new tank to go in.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/20/15 1:59 p.m.

Paint it! It can't hurt. I used some 'galvanizing compound' for originality but it's not too durable to scratches and such.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/20/15 5:23 p.m.

Got it - I'll probably do satin black and then some undercoating after installation.

rydermike
rydermike New Reader
3/28/15 6:30 p.m.

Did you go with a 10 gallon replacement or the Cabriolet 14 gallon? Should be a direct fit.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/28/15 6:49 p.m.

Factory 10 gallon setup...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/15 8:36 p.m.

I put a repro tank in the E30 and painted the bottom with some truck bed coating. Can't hurt, I figure.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/29/15 9:52 a.m.

Everything has been de-rustified and painted up nicely. New hoses and clamps and we're most of the way back in.

Lost time Saturday as I had craigslist interest in my Bimmer so I spent two hrs detailing and getting all of it's paperwork together. the berkleyer was a no show. Grr... Had though it would work out as he was going to drive in from an he away...

Finishing my cup of coffee now and headed to the garage for Rabbit time...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yohEVvMHVBoj2hYukUWVuBJ6z8QSIscj7xAwcGxDVVkuzb26jG8iUjBcawvgpF8c