Skervey Reader
Dec. 29, 2015 10:01 p.m.

Hey guys I have been trying to throw the rear end of the car together before I move in a few weeks. I am swapping the rear control arm bushings from the stock ones to a set of used aftermarket ones. I had to burn the old ones out but now they are free and its time to put the new ones in. I had to try my very best and I was able to get one side in but it was way harder then expected and doesn't sit right in the arm so here is my Q

There seems to be a thin sleeve inside the arm that is in two pieces is that a part of the arm or the old stack bushings? Did some googling and came up with a few pic but I didn't seem them in arms with aftermarket bushings.

Here is what im talking about

Here is the gap between the two that makes me think its a part of the old bushing.

Here is the edge of it that I have not seen in photos of other peoples arms that have after market bushings.

Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
Dec. 30, 2015 2:44 a.m.

Look up the stock piece, does it have a steel shell?

Skervey Reader
Dec. 30, 2015 10:49 a.m.

No one sells the stock ones for the rear anymore I checked rock auto, advanced, napa ect...

Tried to call granny speed but no one picked up.

CLH Reader
Dec. 30, 2015 9:25 p.m.

Thinking waaaaaay back to when I did the bushings on my FC...

If I recall, those have to come out, but unfortunately I don't remember what magic is needed to make it happen. Have you checked in over on RX7Club?

jfryjfry New Reader
Dec. 30, 2015 10:11 p.m.

Looks like a sleeve to me. Take a punch and try and drive it out. If it deforms, keep going.
Heat would probably help

Skervey Reader
Jan. 4, 2016 12:35 p.m.

Thanks for the help guys! I gave racing beat a call and they said they were a part of the factory bushing and they have to come out. So with heat and a hammer they came out and the new bushings went in and now the car is back on the ground!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

6 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

15 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

19 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

19 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
R3P35bvEPMLYloH0Q8T0POVRpwBi2x5D