AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
5/20/16 3:53 p.m.

I've been attending autocross event for the past few months and I've decided that tape numbers generally look lousy.

That says 42 apparently.

Most people don't care, but I do. I've got a set of magnetic numbers on order but they won't be here before my next event so I decided to try improve on the standard tape number.

and now I'll show you how it went.

I started with a box of mini-wheats. and laid out my number in sharpie.

Carefully cut it out and you've got your template.

Now lay out a grid of painters tape on a sheet of wax paper.

Transfer the outline from the template to the tape.

Carefully cut it out and you've made a sticker

Here's where it can go pear shaped. carefully peel the wax paper of the back and apply it to the car. Installed.

In hindsight, this is not easier than magnetic numbers, but better looking than tape numbers. It is a bit of a PITA and not something I'd want to do every weekend. I'd recommend it to someone who is running a one-off event or an annual event where you don't want to look half-assed, but dropping $100 on a set of magnetic numbers is a ridiculous waste of money.

Just thought I'd share.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/16 4:01 p.m.

They look good! But I think I liked the first car better

About magnetic numbers: you can buy a 2x10 foot roll of white magnetic sheeting for $32 from vinyl suppliers (SSENMG2410-WM at Signwarehouse.com, for example). You can cut it with scissors or an xacto knife. As you can see from the dimensions, this will make a LOT of numbers.

You can even put carefully crafted tape numbers (or vinyl ones if you're not crafty) on it if you want a dark number on a light background. Make your own meatballs! Or buy the magnetic sheet in some other color, like red, green or yellow.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/16 4:24 p.m.

I might have to borrow that idea until I get a number registered. It looks much better than just the tape, and with several weeks between events, I wouldn't mind making them a few times.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
5/20/16 4:34 p.m.

As a course worker/radio operator I appreciate a clean set of contrast numbers. Our tech inspection is a little to lenient on numbers sometimes. They are either not clear on the decimal, too small, or not contrasting the body color enough.

revrico
5/21/16 10:09 p.m.

Jst made a set tonight, 10 inch. I used a shipping box, nice reusable stencils. Cutting the cardboard was the hardest part, might just make a whole bunch this week for the rest of the season. Although, when the car turns blue, blue tape might not be the easiest to see.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
5/21/16 10:26 p.m.

In reply to revrico:

Pics or it didn't happen.

revrico
5/21/16 10:34 p.m.

we have a small region(10! people today for first points event), so variations of 1 and 3 work well.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
6/3/16 4:45 a.m.

I've been using shelf liner (contact paper) from Walmart. Comes in a huge roll for about $3. White only, good for darker cars.

Has a great level of stickiness that won't come off but doesn't leave any residue. Works at 110+mph for track days, where magnets can peel off.

Use the template or cutting guide of your choice for nicely shaped numbers and toss at end of day.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/16 6:56 a.m.

I bought a set of stencils from the local craft warehouse to make my magnetic numbers and class designations.

Worked well and were stupid cheap. Plus now I've got enough letters and numbers to make whatever class or number combo I might need since there are about 5 or 6 different organizations in the area that do track days or autocross events.

chili_head
chili_head Reader
6/3/16 7:52 a.m.
revrico wrote: we have a small region(10! people today for first points event), so variations of 1 and 3 work well.

10?!?! Wow, I guess I just thought that 150+ cars/drivers was a normal thing.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/3/16 11:13 a.m.

These are great ideas!

I missed this thread completely. But thanks to the GRM e-newsletter I now have it favorited.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/6/16 7:59 p.m.

For my latest Autocross I did the same thing but I used Reynolds Parchment paper instead of wax paper. Much better. Use that instead.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/29/16 5:22 p.m.

So I tried the shelf paper this time, It absolutely leaves a sticky residue. Now I have dirt numbers...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/16 5:49 p.m.

I've been having a really hard time getting the tape off the wax paper. I'll have to try parchment next time.

Harbor freight blue tape is absolute crap, btw. Sticks to everything but the car, then when it finally does stay on, pulls paint off.

Although now I have a blue car, gonna wind up with vinyl or magnetic numbers soon.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/29/16 6:29 p.m.

I've been using the 3M stuff. Costs a little more but it comes off clean.

My magnetic numbers are "on the way" but it's been a few weeks now.

Another guy I autocross with came up with an even easier method. He just prints out the numbers really big on a sheet of paper, then tapes the paper to the car...

Kind've upset I didn't think of that.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/29/16 6:36 p.m.

Also advice on the parchment paper. It doesn't stick to the tape very well at all, you'll want to keep pressing it down as you trim it. But you'll have to apply it right after you make them. they won't store well at all.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/29/16 7:58 p.m.

Great ideas in this thread.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
7/7/16 10:24 a.m.

I made digital number segments out of the home depot magnetic material. That way you can always put whatever number you want. 7 segments per number. I'm guessing you could do the same with the painters tape.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/16 10:30 a.m.

Michaels and other craft stores sell rolls of vinyl for their plotter/cutter machines. It's not as cheap as shelf paper, but occasionally they toss old rolls into the $1 bargain bin. I grabbed a bunch of rolls a few years back. It's one-use only, but works great.

I have also used magnetic vent covers from Wal Mart. They are flexible magnetic sheets that you can cut with scissors. They are a bit weaker than the numbers that you purchase (thinner) but work great in a pinch and are really cheap.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/7/16 10:36 a.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: My magnetic numbers are "on the way" but it's been a few weeks now.

That sucks man. I walked into a sign shop on Thursday, picked them up on Tuesday(because they were closed on the 4th).

Like $43, 12 x 18 white magnet with surprisingly close to body color numbers, I only need one side for locals so I just bought one. I'm probably gonna catch crap from my autocross chair for not going to his shop, but it's almost 2 hours from me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UzkbbYEdWZvYGdyNMtcs4O6Se6rM8S8hKM9TIrCUa4AFil81zckZt3Hw2iM4aweR