Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque New Reader
8/12/18 8:07 p.m.

A little accident happened yesterday. I have a transmission that I was working on. It's ready to put in the car. It was on the floor and I was carrying a floor jack in my hands. When I went to put the jack on the floor next to the transmission, one of the wheels hit the transmission by accident. I noticed it made a little crack. The crack is located here:

Fortunately, it is on the bellhousing so accessing the other side is no problem. Here is a close-up of the crack:

interior:

What should I do now? A friend said just drill the ends and JB weld it. That would be an easy fix but I think it should be welded. It's not a transmission that is too common, so I would not like to have it crack more over time... Thanks!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/18 8:37 p.m.

Drill and JB weld would probably be enough I think, but welding is definitely better. Which one I would do depends how valuable the car/transmission is and if it's special or a beater.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/12/18 8:50 p.m.

Stop drill the ends of the crack to keep it from growing and leave it alone.

It's not in an area that needs to hold fluid in.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
8/14/18 12:17 p.m.

Welding might be overkill but why not?   At the very least Jb weld it.  I see no reason not to do that. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/18 12:36 p.m.

I would jb weld at a minimum after drilling a hole on each end so the crack doesnt grow. Welding would be ideal tho. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U8DbinVkS6z9Vf2TBhiWxgUDYQIHzCIHvvuoeWtQgCuK2UOd9s1zpOhWbs8d5OEi