SSATB
SSATB New Reader
9/26/16 5:00 p.m.

Just aesthetics

Rotors that fill a set of wheels look awesome but I've noticed if the hubs are big, the rotor itself doesn't look as impressive. The surface area of the rotor isn't as much because most of the inside space is taken by the hub & the rotor is just a large ring around the hub.

Is it a coincidence or in most carbon ceramic brake applications, most hubs aren't huge & the large rotor surface area combined with the darker colour of the rotor with smaller drill-holes make the kit look appealing.

I would think larger rotors would require stronger hubs, stronger uprights, etc.

So naturally in the above context, I'm wondering which cars have a good hub-to-rotor-size ratio, if you know what I mean...Useless question to many but car enthusiasts are of many kind & frankly this sort of geeky stuff, whether aesthetic or not, is what forums are for. So if this is a useless question to you, I respect you, but please don't state that & dismiss my thread. =B

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
11/3/16 10:33 a.m.

I'd wager for the carbon ceramic setups you mention the hub is small and the rotor is large because it has to be to help the material have enough surface area to shed heat and resist fade?

whereas with a traditional rotor you perhaps don't require as much surface area. On a large diameter 1 piece rotor I'd think you're somewhat limited to ease of manufacturability and larger surface area requires longer/deeper vanes which would be harder to cast/forge than the flat hub surface. Meanwhile on a 2 piece rotor it would make sense to have as little rotor ring as required to adequately do the job because the aluminum ring is where the weight savings comes from. Which again nets you big diameter with large hub.

my .02, I'm not an expert by any means though.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/3/16 11:09 a.m.

This isn't a "Tech Tip".

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/4/16 9:00 p.m.

Is it a "That's what she said"?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
huo8A600g3xk7UDDujGymMH5IIorFV237lo6e7TLaNLvGdQorx9TlWLdqadUHLJB