swing69
swing69 New Reader
1/31/15 9:28 a.m.

Whats the feeling on the best on car and off car spring compressors for strut work?

Those 2 rod claw things give me the heeby jeebys.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/15 1:38 p.m.

I have a H/F strut compressor. And while it does the job, it binds and is scary to use also. And I am pretty sure it will not work on small diameter springs.

Save your money and buy something better.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/15 2:51 p.m.

I just made my own out of some one inch square tubing and some rebar. They have never let me down but I do get sweaty palms sometimes trying for that last inch...

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/4/15 2:54 p.m.

These look nice. Have seen them in use, but have not used one myself. For $800 I'll pass. I have good luck with the 2 rod claw things. Once they bend or strip, I throw them out and get another set. They're cheap.

Branick Spring Compressor

wae
wae HalfDork
2/4/15 4:01 p.m.

I've used the twin threaded rod with claw compressor more frequently than I'd like to admit and it's worked really well for me. The only way to use those is with an impact wrench, though. My battery-powered one works pretty well with it.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/4/15 4:08 p.m.
wae wrote: The only way to use those is with an impact wrench, though.

Yes, impact gun. A couple of turns at a time on each side to keep things even.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/15 5:57 p.m.

i have this OTC one and am very happy with it. However it will not work on 90s Civic front springs

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/6/15 8:00 a.m.

Ignorance is bliss. I picked up a set of the claw things from Harbor Freight and used a ratchet. Just a turn or two per side until the spring is compressed just enough to remove the top nut, then remove the spring and release it slowly. The first time I did it outside, away from the house and pets, just in case. I've used them several times without incident.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/7/15 12:24 p.m.

A pair of ratchet straps does a decent job in a pinch as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/15 1:02 p.m.
trucke wrote: These look nice. Have seen them in use, but have not used one myself. For $800 I'll pass. I have good luck with the 2 rod claw things. Once they bend or strip, I throw them out and get another set. They're cheap. Branick Spring Compressor

We have that at work, it's great. The suicide sticks are always, umm, interesting.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/7/15 8:56 p.m.

When I put the Racing Beat springs onto the KYB shocks for my Miata, the hooks on my spring compressor were too big to get back out between the compressed coils in the finished assembly. I ended up having to build a seriously redneck and dangerous contraption using the rear triangle from a cheapie mountain bike, a base made out of 6"x6" lumber, some scraps of steel and a 3' section of pipe. Unfortunately, the resultant device left the whole shock/spring assembly pointing precariously upward at my jaw, while I had to thread on the nut with my other hand & tighten it with the impact wrench.

Glad I don't have to do that job again!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/7/15 11:49 p.m.

Tip- throw a leather jacket over the spring when squishing it or releasing it. The leather jacket can absorb the springs direction and neutralize it somewhat. The same theory applies to a leather jacket on a winch cable.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
2/11/15 12:55 p.m.

I'm in need of one of them, but have been putting off changing the springs because I cannot find a quality compressor. They all look scary to use.

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
2/20/15 4:22 p.m.

some people call the simple claw ones suicide sticks. I've used harbor freight ones successfully a few times. one tip is to always keep spring pointing away from you. one time I didn't compress enough and the spring launched like 30 feet across pavement when I removed top nut. gave me good scare. glad wasn't pointed at my shin.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 5:40 p.m.

Tech tip: take the spring/shock assembly out of the car and down to a friendly independent garage. They can do the compress/recompress part for you.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/15 2:58 p.m.

I have the sticks. I bought that huge clamshell thing and have never used it. Too heavy, too awkward, and hasn't fit any that I tried. With the sticks, go slow and steady and it's not bad. After about five sets I'm used to it now. Oh, and tons of oil on the threads make them nice and smooth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C6dn0yDnWXknu8Lf3dwR0nxRwGFkIqe8wicqDqO7nokxLi7AcG3GnrezbUWYVJhT