WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/13/17 1:40 p.m.

This is a solicitation for advice on removing a large rubber hose without damaging it.

I want to clean the throttle body on my 2007 Saab 9-3. The intake is a large rubber hose that is likely unique to this application (a foot long, wider at one end than the other, 90 degree bend just before the wide end) so I would rather not destroy it in the process of taking it off. I can get the hose clamp nice and loose at the throttle body but this thing is being stubborn and won't budge. There is't a ton of room to work with around the hose due to a number of electrical connectors, etc. I've seen hose removal tools that look like a screwdriver mutated into an evil hook. Is that the only tool for such a task? How are they properly used other than just prying furiously at the lip of the hose? Any advice?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/17 11:51 a.m.

In reply to WilD:

Pry up the lip of the hose, insert spray nozzle from your penetrating lube of choice(or soapy water), and have at it. Work your way around the edge(as much as you can) and it should come free pretty easily.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/15/17 4:00 p.m.

also trying to rotate it will help break the 'seal' they get from being clamped down for a long time, doesnt take much of a twist but should break that seal which should make it easy to slide off

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/20/17 7:46 a.m.

I went ahead and bought a "hose removal tool" and it did the trick. Things do get a lot easier with the proper tools. The car is running much better this morning, so I think it was worth it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1yxdelCBeQ06jI0ypwtXT1KlEhi5FILFfFlB6gJd8Pmr2eGJ29Yjb8XvmYccT9JD