EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham None
4/28/14 2:51 p.m.

This may be less of a tech tip, but might be helpful to some folks nonetheless. Something that I have found to be very helpful when muddling through larger tasks, such as engine swaps or installing a new head gasket is snapping pictures whenever I reach a stopping point. It doesn't require anything more than a cell phone and a few seconds. The pictures often come in handy to make sure everything goes back together correctly (for example, how certain wiring harnesses or vacuum hoses were routed before they were removed). Try to capture the whole work area in a shot and take them from a few angles if possible.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/28/14 7:00 p.m.

I recently heard about a guy who mounted a GoPro in his garage and set it record while he worked, then he would hold up each piece he took off.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
4/28/14 7:09 p.m.

I'm thinking about getting a "garage camera" for a number of purposes. Time lapse monkeying around but also for this. Probably another K100D (used) and a cheap kit lens.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
5/17/14 7:43 p.m.

This would be great for engine swaps, just have one mounted right on the roof pointed towards the engine bay. I might look into this for le future

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
5/18/14 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Andrei Wright:

Having a camera that basically stays out in the garage so it's always where I need it, and something that I don't care about too much, is why I'm thinking bespoke garage camera. A decent condition Pentax K100D isn't hard to find for under $100 and it's a great foundation for anything I'd want to do out there. That with Pentax's not horrible 18-55 kit lens and an interval meter would set someone back less than $200.

If you don't care about trying to make a movie out of it, a $70 Canon Powershot A1400 would probably be just fine, and could be used elsewhere.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
6/12/14 4:09 p.m.

I've got two older cameras for recording stuff like this- Sony hi8 and my favorite Sony that uses full size VHS tapes 1990 vintage both work like new. I bought the hi8 camera new way back when and I got the big daddy for $10 at a garage sale.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/29/14 12:30 a.m.

the only thing i've ever wished that i had taken a pic of to help me remember how things go back together when working on a car is the serpentine belt routing on cars that don't have the sticker under the hood.. everything else is usually easy..

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/16/14 11:55 a.m.

It's especially helpful when you take pictures right when you start and several pictures of the wiring harness before you unplug stuff.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/27/14 8:43 a.m.

I used my iPhone when I swapped diffs recently. I put some silver anti seize on the R&P before disassembly, made the contact pattern, marked the area I used with a spring punch on the edge of the ring gear and took a pic. Checked and recorded the backlash, I then swapped the diffs and went through the setup process, used the same stuff on the same part of the gear and compared the new pattern to the pic. Worked like a charm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H48T8rlu6lA4ykVdRJm1R5xQxNeNBNsV90VuuJIXPQ0IvdP8TD5T6rJySkrchR8C