CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
1/28/16 3:12 a.m.

Hey y'all,

So I have cut cars apart before to recycle them but I am going to cut the rest quarter panel from a car for my first time and was just curious if y'all had any helpful tips?

Car is an e36 coupe and it is the RH side panel. The car is nearly completely stripped already.

Now this is the same side as the gas door and while I'd like to avoid it I figure it's a good idea to drop the gas tank out beforehand.

So....bring on the advice! Thanks in advance, Josh

jere
jere HalfDork
1/28/16 4:19 p.m.

Cut areas that are easy to reweld like flat sections and not curves.

For cutting i like to use a sawsall with a bimetal blade that has maybe 75% of the blade clipped off. Longer blades tend to catch or ram into hidden sheet metal structures.

If you have the option its better to drill the spot welds with the fancy spot weld bit.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
1/28/16 6:00 p.m.

Use tape to make a line. Use an air-driven body saw, not a sawzall. It makes a neater, finer, straighter cut. Much easier to control. Get a good one-- the HF stuff is a waste of money.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
1/29/16 4:32 a.m.

I was originally planning on using a saw all, but then I got my hands on a dewalt angle grinder and I'm hoping it has the juice to do the job. Will find out tomorrow!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/16 5:17 a.m.

Try to separate it at the factory spot welds. Get a spot weld cutter. It will go a lot better. Since you already have it stripped, this is a great approach. A bigger panel will be less work, and look better than trying to join metal in the middle. Dewalt grinder with a cutting wheel will easily handle any place you need to cut. Do you have a junkyard 1/4, or a new one?

Go Slow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tjcyGWqa8j8Zo9D4EeQCy6uPKGwjePfTA1OL1rucyJiUWr4wk2gYB8bj7loIvUUm