sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
5/9/15 3:34 p.m.

Is there any reason that a trailer leveling jack wouldn't work as a jack stand? I found these on Amazon and most of the "answers" of why you can't focus on them being aluminum. The engineer in me says that 6000lb is 6000lb. Is there something that makes these less stable than your standard garage jack stand?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Olympian-Aluminum-Stack/dp/B000760FWU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431203410&sr=8-4&keywords=jack+stands

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/15 11:52 a.m.

No notch in the top might make it easier for the car to slip off, but with careful placement it shouldn't be an issue.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/10/15 12:53 p.m.

Looks ok to me, 6000 pounds is 6000 pounds.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
5/12/15 11:13 a.m.

Great! About what I figured haha.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/15 11:29 a.m.

They would work, but they'd be annoying.

The screw thread would be slow. I know my own bad habits- if it was slow or annoying, I'd be less inclined to use it regularly.

WalMart sells actual car jacks for $24 per pair.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=jack+stand

I am not convinced at the rating. The car stands say "6000-pound load capacity, Meets or exceeds ANSI/ASME standards".

The trailer jacks say "can support up to 6000 lbs".

Does "can support up to..." mean the same thing as "6000 lb capacity"? I don't think so.

I certainly wouldn't put 6000 lb on them and then crawl under the car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/15 11:35 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: Is there something that makes these less stable than your standard garage jack stand?

Yes. They are less stable.

Look at the link I posted. There are pictures of the same trailer stand along with real car jack stands. I think you will see the difference. Car jacks have stronger components, more positive lock, a broader base, shallower angle on the base, welded joints, and they don't rely on bolt threads to support the weight of the car.

How much less stable, I can't say. Let the engineer in you decide.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/12/15 11:37 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

They can't say they meet ANSI standards without having tested to those standards. I'm a little outdated on this, but when I worked for Matco Tools, we tested to these standards and the jacks had to withstand 2-1/2 times their rated capacity (centered loade), and 1-1/2 times their capacity (offset load) to pass.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/15 11:40 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Right.

Trailer stands aren't tested to any standard.

"Up to 6000 lbs" means they MIGHT hold 6000, but they might not.

Car jack stands meet standards, even the cheap ones.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/12/15 11:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I don't disagree. I was replying to your post about the Walmart jack stands.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
5/14/15 1:54 p.m.

The ones I have for my camper are very, very light weight, and quite a bit smaller than jack stands.

That said, one end of a 2000# car up on a couple would probably be all right.

I'd rather buy an 8' 6x6 and cut it in to 12" chunks myself.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/14/15 2:14 p.m.

I wouldn't trust them, they're not meant to hold up a camper, just level it out and keep it from moving on the suspension.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/24/15 1:18 p.m.

I've used trailer jacks like that for almost 40 years, and I've hardly ever been killed to death. Would I put 6000 pounds on one? Only if I could figure out how to balance 2 1/2 Miatas on top of a single stand. 4 of them each holding up 1/4 of a Miata isn't much of a challenge for them.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/15 1:23 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I wouldn't trust them, they're not meant to hold up a camper, just level it out and keep it from moving on the suspension.

This. The ones on my Jayco are not particularly confidence-inspiring. In addition, they don't have the wide base that a real jackstand does. There's no way I'd trust my life to them.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/24/15 4:35 p.m.

My concern would be any possible corrosion. Think of how hard it is to turn a rusty bolt. So... as long as they don't rust....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uNuIl3N53OiMJgBLTUTpELUWym4bM2kiwbpJfhOGNGIrqrtDF3shqSEhsimW1DP1